Sourdough bread is unique, it does not require any added yeast! It uses the fermentation of the sourdough starter to make the bread rise and give it the signature "sour" flavor.
Did you see our post earlier this week about how to make your own sourdough starter? You are going to need it to make sourdough bread!
Like the starter recipe, this bread recipe is also one of the bread master Paul Hollywood’s recipes. Sourdough bread is not difficult to make, it just takes a little patience while you wait between rises.
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
- 375g/13 oz (3 cups + 2 tablespoons), bread flour, plus extra for dusting, flour measured correctly
- 250g/9oz sourdough starter
- 7.5g (1 teaspoon) salt
- 100-130ml/3 ½-4 fluid ounces (7-8 tablespoons) lukewarm water
- olive oil, for kneading
- Combine flour, starter, and salt in a large bowl. Add seven tablespoons lukewarm water to the mixture and stir together. You should have a soft dough, if it is still dry, and an additional tablespoon of water.
- Tip the dough onto an oiled work surface—I like to use a cutting board. Knead dough for 10-15 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl and cover with saran wrap. Put the bowl in a warm place and let rise for 5 hours. I like to heat my oven on to 170 degrees Fahrenheit, place my covered bowl inside, turn the oven off, and leave the dough the rise.
- By now, your dough should have doubled in size.
- Punch your dough down, knocking the air out. Knead the dough again for 2-3 minutes until you feel the dough start to tighten up. Shape the dough into a ball and dust with flour. Place into baking dish and leave to rise uncovered for 4-8 hours.
- After your bread’s second rise, place a pan of water on the bottom rack of the oven, and preheat to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and bake loaf for 30 minutes
- Reduce heat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and cool on cooling rack.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 5mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 6g
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!