Biscuits and gravy is my favorite breakfast dish! There’s just something about soft biscuits, and creamy, savory sausage gravy that’s the best comfort food. Biscuits and gravy casserole recipe is easy to make, feeds a group, and is so delicious. Win, win, win!
Who can pass up homemade biscuits and gravy? Biscuits and gravy casserole is great for breakfast or supper, and it makes a delicious Christmas or holiday brunch.
Making biscuits and gravy
The first step is to brown sausage in a medium sized pot. Next, transfer sausage to prepared baking dish and use a paper towel to blot out grease from the sausage.
How to make gravy from scratch
For the mouth-watering gravy, simply add butter to the sausage drippings in the pan and melt it over medium heat. Next add flour, salt and peppers and stir to combine. This will create a roux (mixture of fat and flour used to thicken many dishes).
Cook the mixture 2-3 minutes until the roux begins to brown. Then stir in milk, and whisk to remove any lumps. Cook the gravy on medium-low, stirring often until thickened (several minutes).
How to assemble biscuits and gravy casserole
To put this dish together, pour the gravy over sausage in your baking pan and spread the gravy evenly. Next, top the sausage and gravy with biscuits. We recommend using our drop biscuit recipe or a favorite biscuit recipe. You can also use refrigerator biscuits from your local market. Divide biscuit dough into small portions, or cut refrigerator biscuits into fourths, then top gravy with biscuit pieces and bake.
Overnight breakfast casserole
At this point, you can cover the casserole and place it in the refrigerator to bake the next morning. Or, bake it immediately and serve warm. We think you'll love having this biscuits and gravy bake recipe in your repertoire.
Try some of our other breakfast and brunch favorites!
- Morning Glory Muffins
- Deviled Eggs with Toasted Pecans and Bacon
- Cranberry Almond Baked French Toast
- Buttermilk Syrup
- Cherry Cream Cheese Braid
- Asparagus Cheese Tart
- Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 4 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup flour
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 7.5 ounce cans refrigerator biscuits or use our homemade drop biscuit recipe
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.Spray 13 x 9 inch glass pan with oil cooking spray.
- Brown sausage in a medium sized pot; transfer sausage to prepared baking dish. Use a paper towel to blot out grease from sausage.
- Add butter to sausage drippings in pot and melt over medium heat. Add flour, salt and peppers and stir to combine and create roux (mixture of fat and flour used to thicken many dishes). Cook 2-3 minutes until roux begins to brown.
- Add milk a little at a time, whisking until smooth. Cook on medium-low, stirring often until thickened (several minutes). Pour gravy over sausage in baking pan.
- Separate refrigerator biscuits and cut each into fourths OR, make homemade biscuit dough and divide into small portions. Top gravy with biscuit pieces.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until biscuits are golden brown. Serve warm.
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!