This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please know, we only share products we love!
Our delicious Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake will make every occasion special. Layers of ice cream and fudgey brownie, covered in creamy whipped topping are a perfect dessert combination.
Homemade ice cream cake
This is our go-to cake when we need something easy for birthdays. It's so simple and tasty, and it's always a big hit. Have you tried a Dairy Queen ice cream cake? A Baskin Robbins ice cream cake? How about a Carvel ice cream cake, a Coldstone ice cream cake or a Friendly's ice cream cake? We think this easy ice cream cake recipe can beat them all!
How to make an ice cream cake
To make this ice cream cake, it's helpful to have two 8-inch round metal cake pans.
Pan 1 brownie:
You'll fill one with brownie batter and bake it. We like the Ghiradelli brownie mixes and often use them instead of a homemade recipe. It's important that you only bake the brownie for 25 minutes. Even though the directions on a brownie mix will suggest a much longer time, we don't want our brownie to get hard. After cooling, you'll remove the brownie disc from the pan, wrap it in plastic wrap, put it back in the pan and freeze it.
Pan 2 ice cream:
You'll line the other pan with plastic wrap and then press a half gallon of ice cream into it. Use your favorite ice cream. The quality of the cake will be in direct proportion to the quality of your ice cream. Next you'll cover the ice cream and freeze it until your ready to assemble the cake. You need to freeze the brownie pan and the ice cream pan for at least two hours.
Assembling the cake
To assemble the cake, remove the brownie round from pan and place on cake plate. Next, remove the ice cream round from pan and place atop the brownie round.
Working quickly, use a narrow metal spatula to spread whipped topping over cake sides and top. The whipped topping is so easy to work with. The spatula just glides over the cake. Be careful to always have some whipped topping under your spatula and don't let the spatula touch the cake.
Garnishing the Cake
If desired, place a small amount of whipped topping in a pastry bag and decorate top with swirls or a shell border. Decorate with mini Oreos. Then place cake back in freezer until ready to serve.
Cutting and Serving Tips
To cut the cake, use a French Chef’s Knife or other heavy, sharp knife. You will need to press hard to get through the brownie portion. Because you didn’t cook it completely, you will be able to cut through the brownie. If you place the ice cream cake on a pedestal cake platter, we recommend sliding the cake onto a cutting board or other low surface before cutting.
Our Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake is really fun to make! You'll get rave reviews, and only you will know how simple the recipe was!
Try out some of our other fresh dessert recipes:
- Southern Chocolate Coca Cola Cake
- Peaches and Cream Dessert
- Blackberry Sherbet
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake
- Perfect Chocolate Cake
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
- Your favorite brownie mix + eggs, oil and water as instructed
- 1 half gallon cookies and cream ice cream
- 1 (8-ounce) tub Cool Whip or other whipped topping; thawed
- mini Oreos to decorate
- 2 (8-inch) round metal cake pans
- parchment paper
- plastic wrap
- Cut one round of parchment paper to fit an 8-inch round metal cake pan.
- Pre-heat oven according to 350 degrees.
- Prepare brownie mix according to directions on box. (Choose recipe to make an 8-inch square or round pan.) Don’t over beat.
- Place parchment round in bottom of pan.
- Pour brownie batter into prepared pan.
- Bake brownies for 25 minutes (Note: this is significantly shorter than the mix directions.)
- Let brownies cool on a wire rack.
- When cool, remove brownies from pan, wrap in plastic wrap and put back in pan.
- While brownies are baking, line second pan with plastic wrap.
- Remove cookies and cream ice cream from container and smash ice cream into plastic lined pan. Press firmly to fill pan and remove air bubbles.
- Wrap plastic wrap completely over ice cream and freeze both ice cream and brownie pans for at least two hours.
- To assemble, remove brownie round from pan and place on cake plate.
- Remove ice cream round from pan and place atop brownie round.
- Working quickly, use a narrow metal spatula to spread whipped topping over cake sides and top. It should spread easily.
- If desired, place a small amount of whipped topping in a pastry bag and decorate top with swirls or a shell border.
- Decorate with mini Oreos.
- Place cake back in freezer until ready to serve.
- To cut the cake, use a French Chef’s Knife or other heavy, sharp knife. You will need to press hard to get through the brownie portion. Because you didn’t cook it completely, you will be able to cut through the brownie.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 744Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 411mgCarbohydrates: 93gFiber: 3gSugar: 68gProtein: 12g
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!
Originally published June 12, 2019