These blue cookie monster cookies are loaded with chocolate chips, chopped cookies, and melty chocolate in the center! Made famous on TikTok, we’ve leveled them up a bit!
Why Make This Recipe
You might have seen the famous blue cookie monster cookies that went viral on TikTok. We made them with our own cookie base and made them even better! They are full of semisweet and white chocolate chips, chopped Oreos, chopped crispy chocolate chip cookies, with milk chocolate stuffed in the center. They’re cookie monster cookies, so the more cookies the better, right?
They’re easy to make and enormous, one might even say monstrous?
What Goes Into This Recipe
- Butter. Butter adds amazing flavor and ensures these cookies are nice and tender.
- Brown Sugar. The molasses in brown sugar adds a smoky flavor while also adding moisture.
- Sugar. Adding in some white sugar with the brown sugar helps lighten these cookies up.
- Eggs. Large eggs work as a binder and help our dough get nice and fluffy during the creaming process.
- Vanilla. Vanilla flavors the cookie dough nicely and complements the mix-ins.
- Salt. A little salt is a flavor enhancer.
- Baking Powder. Baking powder is our leavening agent, it’ll help our cookie monster cookies rise.
- Flour. All-purpose flour is all you need, nothing fancy.
- Blue Food Coloring. Lots of blue food coloring to get these cookie monster cookies looking just like Cookie Monster on Sesame Street.
- Chocolate Chips. We use both semisweet and white chocolate chips in these cookies.
- Chopped Cookies. We’re using both Oreos and crispy chocolate chip cookies (like Famous Amos cookies or mini Chips Ahoy) and chopping them up to mix in to the dough and topping off the cookies with.
- Chocolate Discs. We put milk chocolate discs in the middle of these cookies for a melty chocolate center. They are sometimes called wafers or feves or A’Peels. It’s important to use these instead of chocolate chips, because chocolate discs melt easily, unlike chocolate chips which hold their shape.
How to Make this Recipe
- Cream it together. a) Cream together the butter and both sugars for 1 minute. b) Add in the vanilla, eggs and cream together for 3 minutes. The mixture should be super light and fluffy at this point. c) Add in blue food coloring until you get a rich royal blue color that would match Cookie Monster’s fur! Make sure the food coloring is evenly dispersed.
- Add dry ingredients. Mix in the flour, salt, and baking powder until there are no flour streaks.
- Add the mix-ins. Stir in the chocolate chips and chopped cookies so they are evenly dispersed throughout the dough.
- Stuff the center. Take two tablespoons of dough and flatten it out. Place 2-3 chocolate discs and curl the edges of the dough up around the edges of the chocolate discs. Take 2 more tablespoons of dough and cover the chocolate discs and seal the chocolate in.
- Top off the dough. Top off each cookie dough ball with some of the chopped cookies and chocolate chips.
- Bake. Place the cookie dough balls on a lined or greased baking sheet. Spread them out, I usually place 6 on a sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Try Adding Oreos to the Center
I made a lot of different versions of this cookie before I settled on the blue monster cookies you see here. One I experimented with had an Oreo stuffed in the middle! While I ultimately preferred just having the Oreo chopped up in the dough and chocolate in the middle it was fun to try.
If you want to try adding an Oreo to the center of your cookie, add it the same way you would the chocolate discs. I definitely recommend waiting until they are completely cool to eat if you do add an Oreo to the middle of your cookie.
FAQS & Expert Tips
If you cannot find chocolate discs (sometimes called chocolate wafers, feves, or A’Peels) you can use a regular milk chocolate bar. Just chop it up into some quarter-sized chunks and stuff those into the center of your blue cookie dough balls.
Absolutely. This recipe is fairly easy to make a half batch of, it won’t change any of the instructions.
If your cookie monster cookies come out a little wonky shaped and you want them to be round it’s easy to do. You’ll need to shape them when they first come out of the oven while they’re still hot. Once they start to cool you won’t be able to shape them.
Pull them out of the oven and either take a small spatula and push in any odd, misshapen edges.
Or you can take a large circular shaped cup or cookie cutter –it must be larger than the cookie. Rotate it around the cookie to shape it.
If you’d like to see a video of what we’re talking about, watch it on our Instagram video.
How to Store this Recipe
Fresh. These cookies are best eaten within the 2-3 days. I like to keep them loosely covered to keep them from drying out too much.
Freeze. You can freeze these cookies too! Once they are completely cool, place them in a freezer safe container or bag. Try to remove as much air as possible to keep them fresh. Thaw them completely before eating, you can even warm them up in the microwave for a few seconds if you like them warm. They are best eaten within 3 months.
P.S. If you tried this recipe or any other In Fine Taste recipe take a second and rate it below! We love hearing what you think. Let’s stay in touch! Sign up for our newsletter or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest for more recipe ideas.
Cookie Monster Cookies
- 1 cup butter (room temperature (not too soft)
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- blue food coloring
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups flour
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ¾ cup chopped Oreos (about 10 Oreos)
- ¾ cup chopped crispy chocolate chip cookies (Like Famous Amos and mini Chips Ahoy, see notes)
- ¾ cup milk chocolate discs or chunks of milk chocolate bar
- Extra semisweet chocolate chips
- Extra white chocolate chips
- Extra chopped Oreos
- Extra chopped crispy chocolate chip cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cream together butter and sugars for 1 minute.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and continue creaming for 3 minutes. The mixture should get light and fluffy and pale in color. Add in blue food coloring until you reach the desired shade of blue.
- Add in salt, baking powder, and flour. Do not over mix, just mix until there are no flour streaks.
- Add in the mix-ins—chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and chopped cookies. If your cookie dough seems too soft and your cookies are spreading too much in the oven refrigerate cookie dough for 30 minutes before baking.
- Take two tablespoon of dough and flatten out.Place 2-3 chocolate discs in the center. Wrap off the edges of the dough around the chocolate and top off with two additional tablespoons of dough.
- Top off each cookie monster dough ball with a little bit of each mix-in—chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, chopped Oreo, and chopped chocolate chip cookies.
- Place on a lined or greased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Leave plenty of room on the baking sheets to spread.Let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.
Check out our webstory for this post.