Strawberry Shortbread Cake is our even more elegant, even more delicious, take on strawberry shortcake! It's a moist dense cake piled high with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. What could be better?
The secret to this cake
The secret is the shortbread cake. This shortbread recipe has passed through our family from cousin to cousin. We call it "Barney's Shortbread," but the recipe is rumored to come from Barney's mother-in-law. We thank her for this special recipe! It is easy-as-can-be, but it is sooooo good!
What is shortbread?
Shorbread is a type of biscuit or cookie from the U.K. traditionally made of one part white sugar, two parts butter and three parts flour. Shortbread gets its name from its crumbly texture. The high fat content from the butter causes the crumbly texture. The high fat inhibits long protein strands from forming. Adding fat produces a "short" texture. For example, shortening gets its name from the effect it has on gluten production. Fats shorten gluten strands making baked goods tender and flaky.
Is it a cookie or a cake?
The easy shortbread recipe tastes like your favorite sugar cookie, but it cuts like a cake. We love having the moist texture instead of a dry biscuit under our strawberries and cream. You can make it any shape you like, but we like baking it in a round pan for the pretty circle we can set atop a pedestal cake platter.
Isn't it pretty?
Whichever shape you chose, once you get the soft peaks of whipping cream and those marvelous strawberries atop the cake, it will be beautiful! You can garnish with mint leaves if you like. We think the extra color contrast brightens up this dessert.
If you like making desserts with strawberries, you'll love this easy strawberry dessert. Try throwing in some blueberries for a patriotic looking cake!
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Strawberry Shortbread Cake
For Shortbread Cake
- ½ cup butter (1 stick) room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup cake flour can use all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds about 4 cups fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
For Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mint leaves for garnish optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8-inch round metal cake pan and cover bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add vanilla and blend in. Add eggs and gently whip to incorporate.
- Sift flour and blend just until flour disappears. (Don't over mix or cake will be tough.)
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown in color. Remove from oven and wait about 15 minutes, then carefully invert cake onto cooling rack.
For Strawberries and Whipped Cream
- Rinse strawberries and remove stems, then slice strawberries vertically. Sprinkle strawberries with sugar and set aside.
- Whip cream with electric mixer until it begins to thicken Add sugar and vanilla and continue beating until stiff peaks form.Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
To Assemble Cake
- On a cake plate, place shortbread cake face down. Spoon large dollops of whipped cream over cake and spread close to edges.
- Gently spoon strawberry mixture over whipped cream. Garnish with small mint leaves if desired.You can refrigerate this cake up to 2 hours before serving.
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!
You may also like these other fresh strawberry recipes:
originally published July 28, 2019