Sourdough bread has always been my favorite since I was a kid. I always wanted to make my own, but was intimidated by the idea. I finally got up the courage to just do it! And it was easy! The starter does take some time, but the recipe itself is simple.
This sourdough starter comes from Paul Hollywood, which if you watch “The Great British Baking Show” you know he is a bread master. Also watch for our sourdough bread recipe coming later this week to use after you’ve completed your sourdough starter!
- 5-7 seedless green grapes
- 250g/9oz (approximately 2 cups) bread flour
- 250 ml/9 fluid ounces (10 tablespoons) lukewarm water
Ingredients for Feeding Starter:
- 100g/3 ½ oz (approximately ¾ cup +1 tablespoon) bread four
- 100 ml/3 ½ fluid ounces (7 tablespoons) lukewarm water
- Slice grapes in half and combine with flour and water. Tip into an airtight container and let sit at room temperature for three days. I used a mason jar, the mixtures will bubble and grow quite a bit so use a large enough container.
- After three days, remove the grapes and discard half of the mixture. “Feed” the remaining mixture with 3 ½ oz flour and 3 fluid oz water. Stir until thoroughly combined. Leave in the same airtight container for another 24 hours.
- After this, the starter should be ready to use. The starter should be bubbly and about the consistency of pancake batter. If your mixture is not bubbly, that means the bacteria is not active, feed it again and let sit in container for a couple of days.
- If you’re planning on making sourdough bread regularly (like, once a week), then you should discard half of the starter and refeed the mixture every couple days. The mixture is best left at room temperature (except on very hot days--then place in fridge).
- If you are making bread less than once a week, you can store the starter in the fridge. Just pull it out of the fridge and let the starter sit on the counter 24 hours before using. If the mixture does not seem to be active, refeed it.
- Remember to refeed the starter after you make bread every time.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 311Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 41mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g