Year 'round Brie en Croute is a spectacular appetizer but we especially like it for the holidays. Imagine melted Brie cheese nestled in a pastry crust with added zest from red pepper jelly! Oh my! It's a great party appetizer, and actually, it's one of the best appetizers around.
"En croute" means "in a pastry crust" in French. This sophisticated hors d'oeuvre is a surprisingly easy appetizer to make. I like to use Pepperidge Farms puff pastry (in the freezer section of most supermarkets.) The pastry comes in a package of 2 sheets, but you only need one sheet for this recipe. Exciting - you can make it again!
How to prepare the Brie en croute
- After the puff pastry has thawed, simply roll it out. I try to make it about 2 inches bigger than the original rectangle. Then place ¼ cup of red pepper jelly in the center. You can actually use a variety of preserves or jams for this. My favorite is the red pepper, of course, as I love that sweet-spicy-tangy combo. But I really like the Brie with apricot and raspberry jams as well.
- Next, set the Brie wheel gently a top your jelly circle and begin to pull up the corners of the pastry.
- It's easy to start with an envelope style. Pull up two corners.
- Then pull up the remaining corners so all four meet in the center.
Decorate the brie and prepare to bake
- Gently ease up all side of the pastry until the Brie is completely encased. Trim off excess and reserve. Make sure edges are secure, then turn the Brie upside down so all the pastry tucks are underneath.
- Use the trimmed pieces of pastry to create a design on top of the pastry. It's fun to make leaves, initials, holly and berries, hearts or anything else that represents your theme.
- Place the Brie wheel on a piece of parchment paper on your baking sheet. Beat the egg and water together, then brush the egg wash onto the pastry. Make sure to brush the top, any decor items and sides of your pastry.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven about 25-30 minutes or until the pastry turns golden. Remove Brie en Croute from oven and let rest at least 20 minutes before cutting.
Cut the Brie in wedges or let guests cut their own. Serve alone or with crackers.
This appetizer is as easy as it is delicious. As an appetizer for a Christmas party or New Year's appetizer, Brie en Croute is always a favorite.
Check out these other appetizer recipes we think you'll love!
- Holiday Harvest Spread
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Caprese Tortellini Skewers
- Corn Fritters with Smoked Chili Peach Sauce
- Pineapple Salsa
- Tomato Basil Tart
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- ¼ cup red pepper jelly or other preserves/jam of your choice
- 1 (13 to 16 ounce) round Brie Cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Thaw one sheet of frozen puff pastry for about 40 minutes, then unfold.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out puff pastry on counter until rectangle is about 2 inches bigger than the original. Use a sprinkle of flour if needed.
- Place ¼ cup red pepper jelly or other preserves/jelly of your choice in a small circle in the middle of the puff pastry.
- Place Brie wheel over jelly.
- Gently pull up puff pastry corners to form an envelope. Ease dough up and around Brie until it is completely encased. Trim off excess.
- Turn Brie en Croute over so pastry tucks are underneath.
- Decorate top of pastry with scraps to form leaves, hearts, initials or whatever you'd like.
- Place on baking sheet and bake about 25 - 30 minutes until pastry is golden brown.
- Allow pastry to cool at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a sharp knife for cutting Brie into wedges.
- Crackers are a good accompaniment to the Brie.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 55Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 29mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!
originally published December 21, 2018