This healthy buffalo chicken dip with Greek yogurt is the perfect protein-packed party food! It’s creamy, flavorful, and you’d never know it is keto, gluten-free, and completely macro-friendly. Best of all, it only takes 5 minutes to make the appetizer.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Macro-friendly—low in fat and carbs, and HIGH protein!
- Easy to Make
- Healthy—this recipe is mostly made of protein!
- The Ranch seasoning, cream cheese, and cheese balance out the heat and tang of the hot sauce and Greek yogurt.
- Super creamy and indulgent tasting.
- It’s the perfect dip for parties, barbecues, potlucks, tailgates, Monday Night Football, the Super Bowl, etc.
- Chicken. You’ll need cooked shredded chicken, I prefer white meat for this recipe.
- Cream Cheese. Light or fat free cream cheese are ideal for this recipe, it will keep the calories light but also provide protein and creaminess. Room temperature cream cheese will make this easier to mix.
- Greek Yogurt. Plain, fat-free Greek yogurt adds a tang, creaminess, and protein for this recipe.
- Buffalo Sauce. You can use hot or medium buffalo sauce for this buffalo chicken dip.
- Ranch Seasoning. Ranch seasoning adds wonderful flavor, if can substitute other seasonings if you prefer, see section below.
- Bleu Cheese. Bleu cheese dressing is traditionally served with buffalo wings, just a little bit of bleu cheese adds a great flavor without overwhelming this Greek yogurt buffalo chicken dip.
- Shredded Cheese. We add a little bit of shredded cheese to the dip and top it off with cheese too. You can use your favorite cheese, I used pepper jack cheese but Colby jack, cheddar, mozzarella, etc. will all work great. It’s best to use cheese that you grate yourself so you don’t get any anti-caking agents in the cheese which can prevent the cheese from melting as well.
- Green Onions. Sliced green onions as garnish add flavor and give the recipe a finished look.
How to Make This Recipe
- Mix Ingredients. Add cream cheese, chicken, buffalo sauce, Greek yogurt, bleu cheese, half of the shredded cheese, and ranch seasoning to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Mix together until everything is well incorporated.
- Place in Baking Dish. Spread the Greek yogurt buffalo chicken dip evenly into a greased baking dish.
- Top with Cheese. Top with the remaining half of the shredded cheese.
- Bake. Bake at 350 degree Fahrenheit for 20 minutes until hot and the cheese has fully melted. Garnish with green onion and few bleu cheese crumbles (if desired) and serve while warm.
Alternative Cooking Instructions
In a medium bowl, add chicken, cream cheese, bleu cheese, Greek yogurt, buffalo sauce, ranch seasoning, and half (¼ cup) of the shredded cheese and mix together completely. Slow cooker with cooking spray before adding dip to the inner pot. Top off with remaining shredded cheese, place lid on top, cook on low for 4 hours. Garnish with sliced green onions when ready to serve. Turn to keep warm when serving.
Spread buffalo dip into a greased microwave-safe dish and top with cheese. Make sure whatever dish you use actually fits in your microwave. Heat until dip is hot and cheese is melted. About 2 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Absolutely! Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream.
I love serving buffalo chicken dip with tortilla chips, crackers, toasted baguette (crostini), pita chips, celery, carrots, mini sweet peppers, and cucumbers.
Buffalo chicken dip is best eaten within 4 days of making. Make sure to keep it covered in the refrigerator.
I do not recommend freezing this dip. This recipe contains a lot of dairy and freezing it can make it separate and a little grainy when reheated.
Buffalo sauce does not have anything to do with the animal! It comes from Buffalo, New York in the United States. The sauce originates from the Anchor Bar where the sauce was invented by owner, Teressa Bellissimo.
If served warm, Greek yogurt buffalo chicken dip can sit out for two hours, after that it needs to be refrigerated. If you serve it on a “keep warm” setting in a slow cooker it can sit out for longer.
How to Make Shredded Chicken
This buffalo chicken dip needs about 2 heaping cups of shredded, cooked chicken or about 1 pound of uncooked chicken. There are so many ways to make shredded chicken, the easiest way would be to use rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken.
You can also cook chicken in the slow cooker, pressure cooker, on the stove top, or in the oven.
I cooked mine in the pressure cooker with some creole seasoning and chicken broth on the chicken setting. Whichever way you cook it make sure the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Here are tutorials for different ways to cook chicken:
- How to Cook Chicken in the Slow Cooker
- How to Cook Chicken in the Pressure Cooker
- How to Cook Chicken in the Oven
- How to Cook Chicken on the Stove
Another option, though definitely my least favorite option for this Greek yogurt buffalo chicken dip is canned chicken. If this is the route you decide to go, I recommend draining and rinsing the chicken and patting it dry before adding it to the dip mixture.
Substitutions and Variations in this Recipe
This recipe calls for buffalo sauce, if you prefer to use a different hot sauce you can. Keep in mind, a more potent hot sauce will affect the spiciness level of this recipe. If you use something other than buffalo sauce, add the hot sauce a little at a time so you don’t overdo it. It’s always easy to add more, but once added, you can’t take away!
If you don’t have ranch seasoning you can make your own homemade ranch seasoning.
Or if you don’t like ranch seasoning you can use the following seasonings instead:
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
If you do not want to use cream cheese in this recipe you can use mascarpone or blended up cottage cheese in its place.
Nutritional Information for this Recipe
This buffalo chicken dip with Greek yogurt is mostly made up of protein has amazing macros. This recipe makes about 8 serving, 1 serving is about 4.6 ounces.
Macros for 1 Serving:
- 165 calories
- 6.5 grams Fat
- 6.5 grams carbohydrates
- 21 grams protein
How to Eat this Recipe
I love how many different ways there are to eat this recipe! When serving, I like to serve it with a variety of dipping options. Some of my favorites are: tortilla chips, crackers, toasted baguette (crostini), pita chips, celery, carrots, mini sweet peppers, and cucumbers.
The leftover Greek buffalo chicken dip is amazing on top of baked sweet potatoes, macaroni and cheese, in a grilled cheese sandwich, on nachos, or in a quesadilla. You can also eat it cold, like chicken salad.
Storing This Recipe
This dip should be stored covered in the refrigerator and is best eaten within 4 days. Be sure to cool the dip down completely before covering and placing in the refrigerator.
P.S. If you tried this recipe or any other In Fine Taste recipe take a second and rate it below! We love hearing what you think. Let’s stay in touch! Sign up for our newsletter or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest for more recipe ideas.
Buffalo Chicken Dip with Greek Yogurt
- 2 heaping cups shredded white meat chicken, cooked (about 1 pound uncooked)
- 8 ounces (1 brick) fat free or light cream cheese room temperature
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) bleu cheese crumbles (can substitute feta or more shredded cheese)
- 1 cup (255 grams) Plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup (4.2 ounces) buffalo sauce
- 1 tablespon (14 grams) Ranch seasoning
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded cheese (I used pepper jack, feel free to use cheddar, Colby jack, mozzarella, etc.)
- green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium bowl, add chicken, cream cheese, bleu cheese, Greek yogurt, buffalo sauce, ranch seasoning, and half (¼ cup) of the shredded cheese and mix together completely.
- Pour into a greased baking dish. I used a shallow, 9-inch pie dish, an 8x8 or 9x9 inch pan or something similar will work great. Smooth the chicken dip so it’s evenly spread in the dish.
- Top the dip with the remaining shredded cheese.Bake for 20 minutes until hot and the cheese is melted. (See notes for alternative cooking instructions) Garnish with sliced green onions. Serve warm with chips, toasted baguette, crackers, celery, carrots, etc.
- Slow Cooker. In a medium bowl, add chicken, cream cheese, bleu cheese, Greek yogurt, buffalo sauce, ranch seasoning, and half (¼ cup) of the shredded cheese and mix together completely. Slow cooker with cooking spray before adding dip to the inner pot. Top off with remaining shredded cheese, place lid on top, cook on low for 4 hours. Garnish with sliced green onions when ready to serve. Turn to keep warm when serving.
- Microwave. Spread buffalo dip into a greased microwave-safe dish and top with cheese. Make sure whatever dish you use actually fits in your microwave. Heat until dip is hot and cheese is melted. About 2 minutes.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
View our web story for this post.
Leave a Reply