Sweet. Spicy. No canning necessary! These Sweet and Spicy refrigerator pickles are so easy to make! Pickles have always been a favorite snack and food accompaniment of mine and I love the sweet heat that these have from the combination of red onions, garlic, crushed red pepper, and honey.
These have a good balance of sweet and spicy while maintaining their inherent “pickliness.” That crunch and vinegary tang are the perfect companion to sandwiches, burgers, wraps, and even salads…but I’m not judging you if you just sit down and eat a whole bowl full of these sweet and spicy pickles.
What is pickling
Pickling simply means a food that has been preserved in a brine, the bring being our salt and vinegar.
The Pickling Process
Keep the Pickles from Getting Soggy: First, you’ll start by salting your cucumbers and red onions and letting them sit for 1 hour. This is going to help remove the excess water from the cucumbers and onions so they won’t get too soggy.
Prepare your pickling liquid: While your cucumbers and onions are sitting you’ll prepare the pickling mixture by boiling together your spices, vinegar, and honey.
Let them marinate: Place your salt-free cucumbers and onions in your jars (or jar) and pour your cooled mixture over top. Let marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours and VOILA! Done!
How long will these Sweet & Spicy Pickles last?
These pickles will last about 3 months! Pretty impressive, right? They will usually last even longer than that but will start to lose their crispness after that. And I don’t know about you, but I don’t like soggy pickles.
Try these out and then tell us what you think below! My husband eats these by the bowlful and I can’t say I blame him!
We think you'll like these other recipes too!
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
Sweet and Spicy Refrigerator Pickles
- 3 medium cucumbers thinly sliced (about 6 cups when sliced)
- 1 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 ¼ cup apple cider vinegar see notes
- 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons honey see notes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Sprinkle 3 teaspoons of salt over your thinly sliced cucumbers and red onion. Place cucumbers and onions in a colander and let sit for 1 hour—this helps remove the extra moisture from the vegetables. Set aside and start on your pickling mixture.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, add your vinegar, water, honey, minced garlic, and crushed red pepper. Bring mixture to a boil and let boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- After your cucumbers and onions have sat for 1 hour, rinse salt and pat dry. Add your cucumbers and onions to 1 large jar or divide between 2 medium size jars (see notes). It’s okay to really squish the cucumbers and onions in there. Pour the pickling liquid into the jar(s) covering the cucumbers and onions. Place lid on tightly and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before eating.
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!
originally posted September 16, 2018