This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please know, we only share products we love!
Coleslaw is pretty much a BBQ staple, but trust me when I say that this apple cilantro lime coleslaw kicks every other coleslaw recipes’ butts! You’ve got your standard coleslaw base of cabbage and matchstick carrots, but then you add in fresh cilantro, diced sweet apple, sliced almonds, all tossed together with a creamy sweet and tangy honey lime dressing.
Substitute coleslaw mix
Now I typically try and speed up my prep process and just purchase a bag of coleslaw mix. But don’t feel like you have to! If you’ve got a head of cabbage lying around or want to mix up the kinds of cabbage used, feel free!
I do love good coleslaw that has a mix of green and purple cabbage. If you are chopping up your own cabbage, make sure it’s super thinly sliced. You’ll want to use 9 cups of shredded cabbage and 1 cup of matchstick carrots.
How we lightened up the dressing:
Your classic coleslaw dressing calls for all mayo, but we’ve used part light mayo and part Greek yogurt, which makes the dressing higher in protein, lower in calories, and lower in fat.
We substituted the sugar typically added into coleslaw dressing and replaced it with honey! If you’re not a fan of hone or don’t have any you can also use agave or sugar. You don’t nned a ton of honey to add sweetness; the diced apple and lime juice add some natural sweetness coleslaw too!
Make it Keto/Low Carb
If you’re low carb or keto you can easily alter this recipe to suit your needs! Use full fat mayo and replace the Greek yogurt with additional mayo.
The honey included doesn’t add a crazy amount of carbs. Honey included, 1/12 of this recipe has about 7 net carbs. But I understand that seems like a lot when you’re low carb! So swap the honey for your favorite sugar substitute, I would add the sweetener to taste.
How long does this coleslaw last?
The great thing about coleslaw is that it gets tastier the longer it sits! I love that the cabbage never gets too soggy and keeps the coleslaw crunchy. Covered in the fridge it’ll last about a week, but if you’re like me it’ll be gone long before that.
How to eat it this coleslaw
This might seem obvious to most of you guys. This coleslaw works perfectly as a side, but my absolutely favorite way to eat this apple cilantro lime coleslaw is on top of a sandwich! I BBQ pulled pork sandwiches + apple cilantro lime coleslaw = heaven! But honestly, it’d be delicious on burgers, crispy chicken sandwiches, hot pastrami; the list goes on and on!
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
- - 16 ounce bag coleslaw mix (or make your own using 9 cups of shredded cabbage
- and 1 cup matchstick carrots)
- - 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- - 1 medium apple, diced (I like using a fuji or gala)
- - ½ cup sliced almonds
- - ¼ cup light mayo
- - ¼ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- - 2 tablespoons honey
- - juice from ½ of a lime
- - 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- - Salt and Pepper to taste (I do about ⅛-1/4 teaspoon of each)
- Start by making the coleslaw dressing. Whisk together the mayo, Greek yogurt, honey, lime juice, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth. Set aside.
- Toss together coleslaw mix (or shredded cabbage and matchstick carrots) with diced apple, chopped cilantro, and almonds.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss until evenly coated. You can serve immediately if desired, I like to cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for a couple of hours. The flavors will mingle and become more flavorful!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 76Total Fat: 3.8gCarbohydrates: 8.9gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 2g
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
Having or Going to a BBQ? You may also want to check out these other tasty ideas!
originally posted June 27, 2019