We saw jalapeno popper rolls advertised at a pizza place and knew immediately we had to make some! The ad said they were made with pizza dough – we opted for a softer roll dough so they’d be more like cinnamon rolls. Actually, they don’t taste like a cinnamon roll at all!
Jalapeno popper rolls are savory, with cheeses and jalapenos! No cinnamon or sugar anywhere near! These jalapeno rolls have the signature swirl you find in a cinnamon roll, and we roll them the same way, but the similarity ends there. Jalapeno popper rolls are a delicious appetizer, they’re also a great meal side dish along with soup or salad.
How to make roll dough
First we make roll dough. Our recipe is easy. You can choose to refrigerate the dough overnight, or make the entire recipe at once. Simply follow our recipe to activate the yeast, melt butter while warming milk, add the additional ingredients, knead and let the dough rise.
Jalapeno popper filling
While the dough is rising, make the filling of cream cheese, cheddar cheese, chopped green and yellow peppers, a little sour cream to make it easier to spread, spices, and of course, jalapenos. In this recipe we chop up pickled jalapenos. You could also use fresh, but we like the taste of the bottled or canned peppers in this recipe.
Refrigerate the filling until your ready for it.
When the dough has doubled in bulk, punch it down and let it rest a few minutes. Divide the dough into three equal parts, then get ready to rock and roll!
How to fill and roll jalapeno popper rolls
We’ll explain how to make each individual roll, ⅓ of dough at a time. When you finish one portion of dough, move onto the next and repeat again to make three long rolls, each cut into 10 jalapeno popper rolls.
- Roll dough into a rectangle about 15 x 8”.
- Remove filling from fridge about 15 minutes before you need it. Stir filling to soften so it will spread easily. Spread ⅓ of filling mixture over rectangle. Leave ½ - ¾’ space around perimeter of dough.
- Add extra jalapeno slices (optional for extra spice.)
- For each rectangle: starting at large edge, gently roll dough.
- Keep the roll tight and even.
- Once you’ve finished rolling, pinch edge of dough to body of roll to seal.
Cutting the jalapeno roll
- Using a knife, carefully (and lightly) mark dough in (10) 1½ inch spaces.
- Using dental floss or other heavy thread, place about 12 inches of floss under long roll.
- Center the floss under knife mark.Pull up floss from each end and cross.
- Pull ends of floss tight as you cross.
- This will neatly slice the jalapeno rolls without crushing them.
- Place rolls, spiral side up, on a greased baking sheet or parchment paper. Let rolls rise about 45 minutes or until nearly double in size and bake at 400 degrees 9-10 minutes.
When you remove rolls from oven, brush lightly with additional melted butter if you desire. Our tip is to eat them warm. We think you’ll love the exciting flavor of these jalapeno popper rolls!
Check out these other bread side dishes we think you'll love!
- Brown Sugar Muffins
- Ham and Cheese Rolls
- Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pan de Queijo)
- Herb Artisan Bread
- Jalapeno Cheddar Sourdough
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
For Roll Dough
- 2 Tablespoons (2 packages) Dry Yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 cup warm milk
- ½ cup butter (1 cube)
- ½ cup sugar
- 3eggs, well beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 ½ cups flour (+ 2 Tablespoons if needed)
- 16 ounces cream cheese (1 cup)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup green or yellow pepper, chopped fine
- ½ cup chopped jalapenos; optional: ½ cup additional sliced jalapenos if wanted for extra spice/heat.
- 3 Tablespoons sour cream
- ¾ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
For roll dough
1. Add yeast to ¼ cup warm water (110 degrees – hotter water will kill yeast.) Let bubble up to activate and soften yeast.
2. Melt butter in milk (place 1 cube butter in 1 cup milk in glass measuring cup; put in microwave for 1 minute.)
3. In a large mixing bowl: Add yeast, sugar beaten eggs, and salt. Stir gently.
4. Add cooled milk/butter.
5. Add 2½ cups flour and beat well for 5 minutes.
6. Add rest of flour to make a soft dough.
7. Place dough in greased bowl.
8. Cover and allow to rise in warm place until double in bulk (about 45 minutes).
9. Punch down.
10. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes before forming the rolls.
1. With an electric mixer, mix cream cheese until it softens.
2. Add cheddar cheese, green or yellow pepper, chopped jalapenos, sour cream, garlic salt and pepper and mix until well blended.
3. Refrigerate until ready to spread.
To form rolls
1. Divide dough into three parts. For each part, roll dough into a rectangle about 15 x 8”. Repeat two more times.
2. Remove filling from fridge about 15 minutes before you need it. Stir filling to soften so it will spread easily.
3. For each individual dough rectangle: spread ⅓ of filling mixture over rectangle. Leave ½ - ¾’ space around perimeter of dough. Add extra jalapeno slices (optional). Repeat 2 more times.
4. For each rectangle: starting at large edge, gently roll dough. Keep the roll tight and even. Once you’ve finished rolling, pinch edge of dough to body of roll to seal.
5. Using a knife, carefully (and lightly) mark dough in (10) 1½ inch spaces.
6. Using dental floss or other heavy thread, place about 12 inches of floss under long roll. Center the floss under knife mark; pull up floss from each end and cross. Pull ends of floss tight as you cross.This will neatly slice the jalapeno rolls without crushing them.
7. Place rolls, spiral side up, on a greased baking sheet or parchment paper. Let rolls rise about 45 minutes or until nearly double in size.
8. Bake at 400 degrees 9-10 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and brush lightly with additional melted butter (optional).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 282mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!