Ham and cheese rolls are a family favorite at our house. They are woven into our family history! A perfect side for lunch or dinner, we most often serve them at dinner with soup. Salads are also a great accompaniment for these yummy ham and cheese rolls.
Our dear friend Flora Lee Acord taught me how to make these rolls when I was young. If the truth be known, over the years we have often ditched the ham and just filled our rolls with cream and cheddar cheeses. So they're also known at our house as "cheese rolls"!
This recipe is easy. Don't let the time on the recipe fool you. The extra time is just waiting for the dough, and then the rolls to rise. You can leave them alone and they'll be fine!
Start with dough...
We start with our favorite homemade roll dough. You can use your own dough recipe if you'd like. Divide the dough into 3 pieces and form them into balls. Next, roll the dough into a circle about 12-inches in diameter. Then, using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, slice dough pizza-style into 12 triangles. You'll repeat this for the remaining dough balls.
Now for the filling!
For each dough triangle, place filling ingredients near large end of triangle: teaspoon cream cheese; 1 small piece cheddar cheese; small piece ham.
Roll 'em up!
Starting at large edge, gently roll dough. Once you’ve covered the cheeses/ham, pinch down on dough to incase ingredients, then finish rolling croissant-style.
Place rolls seam down on a greased baking sheet or parchment paper. Then let them rise 'til almost double in size and bake. This recipe makes 36 rolls. For some reason, the large amount has never been a problem! Great as left overs the next day, simply pop a roll in the microwave for 9 seconds and you've got a great lunch, after-school snack, etc.
When my kids were young, they could've eaten ham and cheese rolls every day! As adults, well, they would still eat them anytime!
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
Ham and Cheese Rolls
- 2 Tablespoons 2 packages Dry Yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 cup warm milk
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs well beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 ½ cups flour + 2 Tablespoons if needed
- ¾ cup cream cheese
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese
- 3 ounces thinly sliced ham
For roll dough
- Add yeast to ¼ cup warm water (110 degrees – hotter water will kill yeast.) Let bubble up to activate and soften yeast.
- Melt butter in milk--place ½ cup butter (cut into pieces) in 1 cup milk in glass measuring cup; put in microwave for 1 minute.
- In a large mixing bowl: Add yeast, sugar beaten eggs, and salt. Stir gently. Add cooled milk/butter. Then add 2½ cups flour and beat well for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining flour to make a soft dough. Place dough in greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise in warm place until double in bulk (about 45 minutes).
- Punch dough down after it has doubled in size.
To form rolls
- Divide dough into three parts.For each part, roll dough into a circle about 12-inches in diameter. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, slice dough pizza-style into 12 triangles.
- For each individual dough rectangle, place ingredients near large end of triangle:1 teaspoon cream cheese1 small piece cheddar cheese (divide each ounce cheese into 12 pieces)1 small piece ham (divide each ounce ham into 12 pieces)
- For each triangle: starting at large edge, gently roll dough. Once you’ve covered the cheeses/ham, pinch down on dough to incase ingredients, then finish rolling croissant-style.
- Place seam down on a greased baking sheet or parchment paper. Let rolls rise about 45 minutes or until nearly double in size.
- Bake at 400 degrees 9-10 minutes.7. Remove from oven and brush lightly with additional melted butter (optional).Makes 3 dozen medium sized rolls.
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!
Ham and cheese rolls would go well with some of our other delicious recipes--try them!