Want to know what we're having for Christmas breakfast? The answer is fluffy French toast! This isn’t just any French toast recipe, it’s light and airy and decadently delicious! A special recipe shared by our friend Ellie Pocock years ago, we’ve adapted fluffy French toast as THE Christmas morning breakfast at our house.
So now we’re sharing this favorite recipe with all of you. It’s simple, but it’s the best French toast ever. Our deep fried French toast is like eating a Disneyland beignet or New Orleans beignet for breakfast. This crispy French toast is golden brown on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth soft on the inside.
How to make fluffy French toast batter
1. In medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites and sugar together until stiff.
2. In a separate bowl, mix egg yolks, flour, milk, baking powder and salt together until just blended (don’t over mix).
3. Carefully fold in egg whites.
4. Gently stir but don’t stir too much or you’ll loose the “fluff”.
Making batter dipped French toast
1.Cut bread into triangles.
2. Dip in bread triangle in batter.
3. Remove bread from batter, and try to keep the fluffy batter around bread.
4. Fry in ½ inch oil.
5. Turn over to cook on both sides. Remove from oil and place on paper towel lined plate.
We eat it fluffy French toast sprinkled with powdered sugar, then covered in sliced strawberries and whipped cream. You could use any favorite syrup too. There is no wrong way to eat this yummy dish.
Best bread to make French toast
The best bread for French toast is day old bread, or slightly stale (dried out) bread. In France this dish is called "pain perdu" or "lost bread." Day old bread was brought back to life by soaking it in a custard and grilling it. It's thought that drier bread soaks up the custard better. For our very special fluffy French toast, we like simple white sandwich bread. The bread is cut into triangles then magically transformed into this delicious dish.
And there you have it. Simple directions for a magical dish. Fluffy French toast is a tradition in our family. Maybe it'll become one for you too!
If you like this, we know you'll LOVE these other breakfast and brunch recipes!
- Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- Cranberry Almond Baked French Toast
- Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls
- Orange Pull Aparts
- French Hot Chocolate
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
Fluffy French Toast
For French Toast
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup flour
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 pieces white sandwich bread
- oil for frying
- 8 ounces whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pound strawberries sliced
- powdered sugar
For French Toast
- In medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites and sugar together until stiff.
- In a separate bowl, mix egg yolks, flour, milk, baking powder and salt together until just blended (don’t over mix). Carefully fold in egg whites (don’t stir too much or you’ll loose the “fluff”)
- Cut bread into triangles and dip in batter. Fry in ½ inch oil, then flip and fry on other side. Remove from oil and place on paper towel lined plate.
- Whip cream with sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Serve immediately with powdered sugar, whipped cream and strawberries, or syrup.
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!