Apple Carrot Ginger Soup is a flavorful fruit and vegetable blend perfect for fall or winter. Sweet and savory spices complement the carrots and apples to create a velvety, sweet, yet slightly spicy entree. It feels like a cream soup, but it's non-fat, and you can make it in less than 30 minutes!
Why this recipe works
Apple carrot ginger soup is bright orange--everyone loves the color! Although this warm, satisfying dish makes a great appetizer, we most often serve it as our dinner meal along with salad. The warm soup feels good as the weather cools down. And although the flavor combo is a bit unusual, we love it!
Carrot soup has been described as a "classic" dish in French cuisine. We add a touch of America to this creamy carrot soup with sliced apples and applesauce. Apple carrot soup with ginger is one of the best fall soup recipes; it's also a healthy winter soup. It's a delicious, healthy, easy, and oh-so-quick recipe! What more could you ask for?
- Apples. Apples and applesauce give this soup its characteristic sweet fresh flavor and aid in thickening.
- Carrots. Carrots also give sweet flavor to the soup and add to the soup's thick creamy texture. Don't use old carrots. Young carrots make the soup sweeter.
- Butter. Butter adds flavor and richness to the soup.
- Green Onions. Green onions give a sharp flavor to the soup which contrasts with the sweet apple and carrot. It's also a garnish for the finished recipe.
- Ginger. Ginger has spicy, warm, peppery taste with a hint of floral and citrus. It's good for both sweet and savory dishes.
- Nutmeg. Nutmeg is a spice that gives the soup a warm, nutty, fall flavor with a hint of cloves.
- Cajun seasoning. This seasoning enhances the flavor of the soup and adds a contrasting spicy taste to the subtle flavors of carrot and apple.
- Half and Half. Half and Half gives flavor, creamy texture and richness to the soup.
- Chicken Broth. Chicken broth thins the heavy carrot and apple puree. It also adds flavor and nutrients to the soup.
How to make this recipe
- Cook Carrots. Cut carrots into half-inch chunks. Combine carrots in saucepan with butter and one cup of chicken broth. Cook, covered until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. Add apples and applesauce during last 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat; uncover. Let cool about 10 minutes.
- Puree. Put in blender and puree, or use a stick blender right in your pot.
- Add broth & seasoning. Return to pot. Stir in remaining broth, half and half, nutmeg, ginger and seasoning.
- Serve. Serve warm, sprinkled with chopped green onion.
Ideas for toppings you could add
There are so many fun ingredients you could add to this low fat soup recipe to change it up a bit. Try adding one of these suggested toppings. Or be creative, and try something that sounds tasty to you!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and Expert Tips
What are health benefits of ginger?
Health benefits of ginger include fighting germs, keeping your mouth healthy, calming nausea, soothing sore muscles, easing arthritis symptoms and curbing cancer growth. Ginger contains antioxidants but no notable vitamins or minerals.
Health benefits of apples?
Apples may lower high cholesterol and blood pressure. Rich in fiber, apples can aid digestion and support a healthy immune system. Antioxidants in apples may help prevent cancer. Apples are also a diabetes-friendly fruit.
Health benefits of carrots?
Refreshing, healthy, rich in multivitamins, beta-carotenes and antioxidants, that cleans digestive system from toxins as well as helps body fight against cancer and many other diseases.
This soup is easy to reheat in the microwave or on the stove top. If you do it in the microwave, cover your bowl with a damp paper towel to prevent splattering.
On the stove, pop it into a pot and place over medium—medium-high heat until it reaches desired temperature. If your soup is a little thicker than you’d like, add a little vegetable or chicken broth until you reach the desired consistency.
How to make this recipe Vegetarian
You can easily make this soup vegetarian by replacing the chicken stock with vegetable stock. That's it!
Storage and Freezing Tips
Cool the carrot soup completely before transferring it to the fridge or freezer. This soup will keep 4-5 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
You can also freeze this soup. Just cool it completely, place it in a gallon freezer bag, label and freeze. It will keep well for 3 months. When you need a quick dinner, just take the frozen soup out of the bag and put it in your slow cooker for an easy meal.
Smooth and creamy, this easy carrot and apple soup is like a cream of carrot soup with the extra flavor of apples, but without a high fat content. We like it topped with chopped green onions and/or swirls of fat-free half and half. Try it with our recipe for brown sugar muffins for a delicious meal!
Be adventurous and make a batch of apple carrot ginger soup today! You’ll love the bowl-full of harvest goodness!
You may also enjoy these delicious soup recipes!
P.S. If you tried this recipe or any other In Fine Taste recipe take a second and rate it below! We love hearing what you think. Let’s stay in touch! Sign up for our newsletter or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest for more recipe ideas.
Apple Carrot Ginger Soup
- 8 large carrots
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 large apples Fuji or other flavorful apple, sliced
- 1 cup applesauce
- ½ cup fat free half and half
- 1 teaspoon Cajun/Creole seasoning or ½ teaspoon salt + ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ½ cup minced green onion green part only
- optional toppings: croutons or bacon bits
- Cut carrots into half-inch chunks. Combine carrots in saucepan with butter and one cup of chicken broth. Cook, covered until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add apples and applesauce during last 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat; uncover. Let cool about 10 minutes.
- Put in blender and puree. Return to pot. Stir in remaining broth, half and half, nutmeg, ginger and seasoning. Serve warm, sprinkled with chopped green onion.
Originally published October 2, 2018.
It has great flavor!