This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please know, we only share products we love!
Shrimp and Avocado Dip has been one of our go-to recipes since our friend Elisse shared it with us years ago in Vienna, Virginia. Not only is it delicious, it has that "wow" factor. When we take it to a gathering, everyone wants the recipe! It's a great idea for New Year's Eve, but it's also an appetizer you can make year 'round with its readily available ingredients.
The flavors run the scale from fresh and clean to tangy and spicy. And the textures go from smooth to firm and crunchy once you dip in a tortilla chip. Shrimp and avocado dip is similar to a salsa.
Chunks of shrimp
This recipe is so simple. It's the kind of appetizer where the end result is much greater than the work you put into it! Use large pre-cooked shrimp and cut them into thirds.
Chunks of avocado
You'll also cut an avocado into chunks. After that, a few extras like chopped onion and cilantro, and some ready-made cocktail sauce, and you've got yourself a fabulous hors d'oeuvre.
Shrimp & Avocado Dip is best prepared within two hours of serving. Please note it does not freeze well.
We love serving it with tortilla chips like "Scoops" where the chip holds a bit of dip for you. The vibrant colors and flavors will have you making it again and again.
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
- 1 (12 ounce) jar cocktail sauce – we like Crosse & Blackwell
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco pepper sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp, chopped chunky (cut each shrimp into 3 pieces)
- 1 avocado, chopped chunky
- Tortilla chips (prefer “Scoops” chips)
- Mix cocktail sauce, onion, cilantro, Tabasco, and pepper together in a medium sized bowl.
- Gently mix in shrimp and avocado chunks.
- Place dip in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- Serve with tortilla chips (preferably chips that can scoop.)
This dip should be made fresh, only a couple of hours before serving.
It cannot be frozen.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 81Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 425mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!
You May Also Want to try these other yummy appetizer ideas:
originally published December 28, 2019