This Thai inspired Coconut Corn Chowder is bursting with fresh, bright flavors! I first tasted a similar version of this recipe called "Coco Corn Chowder" at Monkeypod Kitchen in Wailea, Maui. The first bite was a spoonful of heaven! I have eaten and enjoyed corn chowders before, but this was different. The decidedly Thai twist gave this soup depth, character and a sense of "wow."
Sweet, Savory, Spicy
Because the soup was savory and sweet and spicy all at once, my taste buds came alive and I vowed to re-create the soup asap. At the restaurant, the chowder was served as a appetizer. I would be delighted to serve this Coconut Corn Chowder as an entree as well, because this soup, paired with a crusty loaf of bread and/or salad would make a perfect meal.
Make This Recipe Work For Your Diet
Coconut milk and chicken broth form the base of this Thai vegetable soup. You can easily make it vegetarian or vegan by substituting vegetable broth for chicken broth. Alternately, you could easily add chicken or tofu to up your protein game in this recipe.
To thicken the soup
You thicken the coconut milk corn chowder by pureeing a couple cups of soup in a blender and stirring them back into the pot. Lemongrass, ginger, cumin, tomato, onion, cilantro and lime add to the flavor.
Note: To get the delicious Thai taste of lemongrass without risking a bite of the woody stalk, try using lemongrass paste. It's available at most super markets in the produce section by the herbs, or at any Asian market. Or you can buy it on Amazon!
Our Thai inspired Coconut Corn Chowder is a winner at our kitchen table. If you like the flavors of Thai coconut, and lemongrass, we think it'll be a favorite for you too!
You Might Also Enjoy these other Fun International Recipes!
- Mediterranean Salad
- Tortilla Soup
- Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- Skinny Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Apple Galette
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE
Coconut Corn Chowder
- 2 ears fresh corn sliced from cob (if not available, use 4 cups frozen corn)
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- ½ medium onion diced
- ¼ cup celery diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoons fresh ginger minced
- 1 Tablespoon Garden lemon grass stir-in paste in produce by herbs OR 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, sliced (Asian Market)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3-4 Yukon Gold potatoes skins on, large dice
- 1 cup fresh kale spines removed; torn into bite size pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups coconut milk use cream or lite, depending on fat preference
- 2 cups chicken broth switch to vegetable broth for vegan recipe
- 1 Roma tomato diced
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup chopped green onions green part only
- 1 lime
- Cut corn kernels from cobs and set aside (you should have about 1-2 cups).
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 5 minutes. Add celery, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, cumin, sald and red pepper flakes and saute 1 minute.
- Pour coconut milk into pot, then chicken broth, potatoes, corn and kale. Stir. Bring mixture to boil, then immediately turn heat to low. Stir, cover pot, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes, stir periodically.
- To make soup thicker, take out 1-2 cups soup and blend in blender until smooth. Pour this back into pot. Add tomato and cook one minute. Add cilantro, green onion and lime juice. Stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!
originally published May 15, 2019