We're dreaming of fall in the air right now! Yearning to make something like this delicious Apple Galette. Apple galette is actually great any time of the year, but I always think of apples in the fall. We love using Granny Smith apples for this dessert; the combination of crisp and tart works perfectly in any kind of apple pie.
What is a galette?
"Galette" is the French term for a free-form tart. It's an elegant little dessert, but it's so easy. Yes, it's easier than apple pie! The fun thing is, you can put any fruit in your galette (or apple tart) that you can bake in your oven. You can make an apricot galette, a cherry galette, raspberry galette, or pear galette. What do you have on hand? Raspberries? Blueberries? Blackberries? You could even use canned cherry pie filling or canned peaches or pears. Check our directions for making fresh peach galette here.
How to make pastry crust
Use the recipe for our Easy Homemade Pie Crust to make the pastry crust for your galette. Or you can use one round of ready made pie crust. Roll your pastry dough into a rough circle about 12-inches in diameter. Don't worry if it's not perfect. You want it to have a homemade look.
How to make apple pie filling
Next, peel three apples (or leave the skin on for more nutrients and a more rustic look). Quarter and core the apples, then cut each quarter into ¼-inch slices. You should get about 6 slices per apple quarter. You'll toss the apples with cinnamon, brown sugar, ginger, and lemon. Next, artfully arrange the apple slices in the free form round pastry crust. Leave a 2-inch border without fruit around the edges.
Fold it up!
Once the apples are in place, pull up the pastry crust around the edges of the fruit. Fold as necessary. Next dot the apples with little cubes of butter. Next you brush the crust with an egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Then it's time for the oven!
I just wanna bake!
As the weather gets cooler, I just want to bake. I was taking dinner to a friend, so I made two of these easy little free-form apple pies (one for her and one for me--OK, I shared with my family). You can't beat a sugar crusted tart filled with fruit!
We like a galette best served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You can easily cut the galette into six pieces -- or not!
You might also like these other easy desserts:
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
- Our recipe for homemade pie crust or use 1 round of purchased pastry dough.
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 ½ Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon cream or half and half
- 2 Tablespoons butter cut in small cubes
- 1 Tablespoon sugar to finish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Make our homemade pie crust, or use a round of ready-made pie crust
- Peel apples; quarter; remove core; then cut into ¼ inch slices (about 6 slices per apple quarter).
- Mix brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, salt, lemon juice and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl. Add apple slices and toss.
- Roll out one ball of pastry dough for each galette on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a rough circle approximately 12-inches in diameter. Carefully move dough circle to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicon sheet.
- Arrange apple slices in three columns. Overlap them, leaving about 2-inches dough overhang on all sides. Fold the dough overhang over the edges of the apples.
- Beat egg and cream together with a fork and brush the crust with the egg wash. Sprinkle sugar all over the crust.
- Dot the apples with the small cubes of butter. Bake about 30-35 minutes. Checking to make sure crust is golden brown and done on the bottom. Apples should be soft.Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!