Like a taste of heaven, lemon angel pie is a dreamy looking and tasting lemon dessert. It's sweet, tangy, fresh, and creamy with a crisp melt-in-your-mouth crust.
Easy lemon tart recipe
This lemon tart has been known by many names over the years: “Lemon on a Cloud,” “Lemon Cloud Pie,” “Upside Down Lemon Meringue Pie,” “Lemon Meringue Tart," "Lemon Angel Pie," and “Lemon Pavlova.” Whatever it’s called, the one thing we know is that is a dessert stand out.
Light and airy, this luscious lemon pie combines lemon mousse and whipping cream in a crisp meringue crust. It's elegant, and it's so easy!
How to make a meringue crust
You need just a few simple ingredients for the meringue shell – egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and a pinch of salt. The egg whites whip best at room temperature. You can speed up this process by setting the eggs in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes. We whip these together until they are glossy and form stiff peaks.
How to form the meringue into a shell
It’s fun to form the pillow soft meringue into a shell. You can do it in a buttered pie dish, or freehand on a piece of parchment paper. Form the meringue shell with the back of a spoon, or pipe it into place with a pastry bag.
Bake it for an hour at 275 degrees, then let it sit in the closed oven 1-2 hours more. Don't open the oven during this time! You want the meringue as dry as possible.
Lemon curd recipe
While the meringue shell is baking, make the lemon mousse filling. Start by whisking together eggs, egg yolks, and sugar. Add cornstarch and salt, then whisk in lemon juice, water, lemon zest, and melted butter until fully incorporated. Pour the mixture into a saucepan stirring continuously until it deepens in color and becomes thick.
Finally, pour the lemon curd in a bowl and chill it in the fridge for at least an hour. Then you're ready to fold it into fresh whipped cream and you'll have luscious lemon mousse!
Finishing the lemon angel pie
When your meringue has baked and cooled, pile the mousse into the crisp meringue shell. This tangy fresh lemon pie recipes is one you'll go back to again and again.
Garnish with a cloud of whipped cream in the center of the pie. Spread it so you've got a couple of inch border around and get ready for the oooh and ahhhs!
If you like this recipe, try some other luscious lemon desserts!
- Lemon Meringue Pie Ice Cream -- No Churn!
- Fresh Strawberry Lemon Trifle
- Blueberry Lemon White Chocolate Cookies
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- Lemon, Orange, Banana Homemade Ice Cream
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
Lemon Angel Pie
- 4 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 whole eggs large
- 5 egg yolks large
- 1 ½ cups + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
Cream for Lemon Mousse and Topping
- 2 cups heavy cream whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
For Meringue Shell
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites at medium speed until foamy (about 2 minutes.)
- Add cream of tartar and salt.Beat egg white mixture on high speed until they hold their shape. Scrape bowl occasionally.
- Gradually add sugar while continuing to beat egg whites 3-5 minutes more until they are light, fluffy, glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Spoon egg whites into a well-buttered pie dish and use spatula or back of spoon to spread them into pan forming a smooth crust. Try to create high sides that reach higher than sides of pan. (See notes for alternative method)
- Bake at 275 degrees for one hour. Don’t open oven door. Let dry in oven without opening door for 1-2 hours.
- Remove the meringue from oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
For Lemon Curd
- Whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and sugar for 2 minutes until the mixture is pale yellow.Then, whisk in cornstarch and salt, making sure there are no lumps.
- Add in your lemon juice, water, lemon zest, and melted butter and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a saucepan and place over medium heat. Whisk mixture continuously for 7 minutes, scraping down the sides every 30 seconds. The mixture should deepen in color and become very thick.
- Remove from heat and whisk for 1 minute more. Pour in bowl, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in fridge for 1 hour.
Cream for Lemon Mousse & Topping:
1. In a large bowl beat 2 cups cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
2. Divide in half (half for mousse and half for topping).
3. Gently fold in lemon curd into half of whipping cream to create a lemon mousse.
Fill cooled meringue shell with lemon mousse. Spread evenly.
Top lemon mousse with reserved whipping cream. Pile in middle of pie, leaving a 2 inch border of mousse showing.
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!