What is a key lime?
So, what is a key lime? Key limes are smaller than the usual Persian limes we find in supermarkets across the U.S. The key lime is small, slightly yellow and has more seeds than its Persian cousin. It's also a bit more tart and has a slight floral taste.
The history of Key Lime Pie
Key lime pie taste test:
I decided to experiment to try and make the perfect key lime pie. After some some research, I varied ingredients several ways before deciding the types and amounts for this recipe. Next, I held a taste test with three pies and 10 participants.
Hi there! Links in this post are Amazon affiliate links to products we like.
Sub for Key lime juice
Try some of our other favorite spring desserts!
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
Fresh Key Lime Pie
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs about 1 ½ sleeves
- 6 Tablespoons butter melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup key lime juice about 22 key limes + zest of 4 key limes (or 2 limes)
- 2 14 ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter until well blended. (If using packaged graham crackers, crush them in a plastic bag with a rolling pin or chop in food processor to get fine crumbs).
- Press crumbs on bottom and up sides of 9-inch pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 8 minutes. Let cool before adding filling.
- Squeeze juice from about 22 key limes to reach ¾ cup key lime juice (alternate, use ¾ cup bottled key lime --NOT LIME-- juice into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add lime zest, 2 cans sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks and lemon juice, and mix with electric or wire whisk mixer for 2-3 minutes or until well blended and creamy.
- Pour filling into baked graham cracker crust and bake in oven for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees (check pie after 15 minutes). Pie should jiggle when you remove it. Don't let it get brown.
- Let pie cool, then refrigerate for at least 3 hours Serve pie cold topped with whipped cream.
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!