This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please know, we only share products we love!
Buttermilk Cinnamon Streusel Muffins! Is there anything better than the smell of cinnamon muffins wafting through the house? These little muffins have a cinnamon muffin base, cinnamon swirls in the batter, and are topped off with a gorgeous streusel with old fashioned oats in it!
You may have noticed that I love using buttermilk in my baking. I will always say that using real buttermilk is BEST! However, I completely understand that you may not have time to run to the store to get buttermilk always, but that shouldn’t stop you!
For 1 cup of buttermilk there are a couple substitutions you can do:
- 1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice—then let stand for 10 minutes
- ½ cup yogurt + ½ cup water
- it’s a little different if you use a thick Greek yogurt: 1/3 cup Greek yogurt + 2/3 cup water (this is my personal favorite substitute)
Why You Don’t Want to Use Regular Milk
You don’t want to substitute just regular milk without adding the lemon juice and here’s why…buttermilk and all the substitutes I listed are acidic, meaning that when they mix with the baking soda you get a reaction.
Think about that volcano science experiment we all did as kids—baking soda + vinegar and you get a fizzy explosion! This reaction between the buttermilk and baking soda is what’s going to make these light and fluffy and have a great texture!
Swirl in the Cinnamon Filling
With these muffins you’ll add half the batter into each muffin paper, swirl in the cinnamon filling, and top off with the remaining batter. Then top off with your streusel, pop into the oven and try to patiently wait for them to bake!
Tender cinnamon muffins, cinnamon swirls, and cinnamon streusel. That’s a lot of cinnamon, and I have no regrets.
Start those ovens and Enjoy!
Try out these other delicious recipes!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk (See notes)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 cups flour, measured correctly
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, cold
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin pan with 12 muffin papers or grease well. Whisk together sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs, cinnamon, and vanilla until smooth.
2. Stir in salt, baking soda, and flour (make sure flour is measured correctly) until just combined. Do not over mix. Set aside and prepare filling and streusel topping.
1. Stir together melted butter, sugar, cinnamon, and flour until smooth.
2. Fill your muffin papers with muffin batter halfway full. Drop 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon filling in the middle of the batter. Fill muffins papers up the remaining way.
3. Drop an additional teaspoon of cinnamon filling on top of batter and use a knife to swirl into batter a little bit.
1. Using a knife or pastry blender to cut cold butter into flour and sugar. You want the butter to stay in little chunks and to not be smooth.
2. Stir in oats, cinnamon, and salt. Drop 1 heaping tablespoon of streusel on top of muffin batter and bake muffins for 17-20 minutes
Real buttermilk is always best, but in a pinch you can use a buttermilk substitute. For 1 cup of buttermilk take 1 cup of regular milk and add 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or vinegar), stir together, and let sit for 10 minutes before using.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 363Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 591mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 6g
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!