This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please know, we only share products we love!
I first tasted this Pineapple Lemon Basil Salad while sitting on the beach in Oceanside, CA. I was roasting under the hot sun when my sister Allison appeared with a bowl full of freshly cut pineapple. One bite and I knew this wasn’t just any pineapple!
It was cold and sweet and tangy and wait, basil? And lemon? What a flavor explosion!
3 Simple Ingredients!
I was amazed to learn there were only three ingredients in the salad -- it's as easy as it is delicious. This dish is now a family favorite that I crave all the time! NOTE: For simple directions on How to Slice a Pineapple and How to Chiffonade Basil (or cut basil ribbons) follow the links or see our COOKING TIPS & TRICKS section. After trimming the pineapple, you'll want to cut it into bite size pieces.
Juice & Zest the Lemons!
Next, take the zest off both lemons, reserve. Cut the lemons in half and juice them. Mix juice and zest in a bowl with pineapple pieces. We credit the lemon zest with being the secret ingredient of this recipe. There is something about it that gives extra freshness! Honestly, this recipe tastes like there are more than three simple ingredients. It has a depth that hints at so much more.
Chiffonade that Basil!
Make sure you remove the lemon seeds. Cut the basil leaves into strands, add them to your mixing bowl and toss with the other ingredients. You'll want to cover and let the juices combine 1-2 hours or overnight -- if you can wait that long!
This may be the easiest recipe on our blog, but believe us, it's really delicious! It's a great BBQ or potluck dish. We love it as a salad, a side, a dessert or even just a snack when it's hot outside. You're gonna love it!
Try some of our other favorite appetizer and side salad recipes:
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
- 1 whole pineapple
- 2 lemons
- ¼ cup (about 10 leaves) fresh basil
- Cut pineapple in bite-sized pieces. (To cut the pineapple, first cut off the top and outer skin. I like to cut the pineapple in quarters lengthwise, then slice down each quarter to remove the core. Next I cut each quarter into four spears and slice off bite-sized pieces.)
- Take the zest off both lemons, reserve. Cut the lemons in half and juice them. Mix juice and zest in a bowl with pineapple pieces.
- Cut Basil leaves into strands "chiffonade." (Rinse basil leaves and pat dry. Stack the leaves and then roll them. Make thin slices with a chef’s knife or your kitchen shears.) You’ll have lovely chiffonade strands when you’re done.
- Add the basil to your mixing bowl and toss with the other ingredients.
- Cover and let the juices combine 1-2 hours or overnight. Delicious!
Serving Size:½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 16Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 0g
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!
originally published August 18, 2018