I first tasted this Pineapple Lemon Basil Salad while sitting on the beach in Oceanside, CA. I was roasting under the hot sun when my sister Allison appeared with a bowl full of freshly cut pineapple. One bite and I knew this wasn’t just any pineapple!
It was cold and sweet and tangy and wait, basil? And lemon? What a flavor explosion!
3 Simple Ingredients!
I was amazed to learn there were only three ingredients in the salad -- it's as easy as it is delicious. This dish is now a family favorite that I crave all the time! NOTE: For simple directions on How to Slice a Pineapple and How to Chiffonade Basil (or cut basil ribbons) follow the links or see our COOKING TIPS & TRICKS section. After trimming the pineapple, you'll want to cut it into bite size pieces.
Juice & Zest the Lemons!
Next, take the zest off both lemons, reserve. Cut the lemons in half and juice them. Mix juice and zest in a bowl with pineapple pieces. We credit the lemon zest with being the secret ingredient of this recipe. There is something about it that gives extra freshness! Honestly, this recipe tastes like there are more than three simple ingredients. It has a depth that hints at so much more.
Chiffonade that Basil!
Make sure you remove the lemon seeds. Cut the basil leaves into strands, add them to your mixing bowl and toss with the other ingredients. You'll want to cover and let the juices combine 1-2 hours or overnight -- if you can wait that long!
This may be the easiest recipe on our blog, but believe us, it's really delicious! It's a great BBQ or potluck dish. We love it as a salad, a side, a dessert or even just a snack when it's hot outside. You're gonna love it!
Try some of our other favorite appetizer and side salad recipes:
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
Pineapple Basil Salad
- 1 whole pineapple
- 2 lemons
- ¼ cup about 10 leaves fresh basil
- Cut pineapple in bite-sized pieces. (To cut the pineapple, first cut off the top and outer skin. I like to cut the pineapple in quarters lengthwise, then slice down each quarter to remove the core. Next I cut each quarter into four spears and slice off bite-sized pieces.)
- Take the zest off both lemons, reserve. Cut the lemons in half and juice them. Mix juice and zest in a bowl with pineapple pieces.
- Cut Basil leaves into strands "chiffonade." (Rinse basil leaves and pat dry. Stack the leaves and then roll them. Make thin slices with a chef’s knife or your kitchen shears.) You’ll have lovely chiffonade strands when you’re done.
- Add the basil to your mixing bowl and toss with the other ingredients. Cover and let the juices combine 1-2 hours or overnight.
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!
Are you part of our Facebook Page? Follow along with what's new on In Fine Taste, share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, post pictures of what your making, and more! Like our page HERE
originally published August 18, 2018
Who doesn’t love pineapple! I can’t wait to fix this tonight.
Mmmmm, my mouth is salivating just thinking about it.
How do you measure the basil? Should the 1/4 c be loosely packed or "cram it in"? Or would you recommend just sticking with around 10 leaves?
I’d say 1/4 cup not super crammed, but not too loose. We used about 10 medium sized basil leaves, either way you should have a delicious result! 😊
I made this recipe tonight to eat with our main course. It was incredible! What a fun splash of unexpected flavors! This is a new favorite!
The taste, the colors! It’s perfection and I’m doing this for an event for sure!! Thank you
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this pineapple delight! Basil is one of my all time favorites and it pairs so nicely with so many things! I've eaten this and it truly is fabulously refreshing! It brings pineapple to a whole new level!