This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please know, we only share products we love!
Give us all the cute Halloween treats! We’re not much into “creepy” Halloween decor, but we LOVE all the adorable ideas of the season. How fun are these upside down witches or witch legs cupcakes? We imagine the wicked witches landed upside down on grassy hills, or perhaps took a dive into their swirling green cauldrons!
To make these creative witch legs cupcakes, use your favorite cupcake recipe, box mix, or use our vanilla cupcake recipe below, or our chocolate cupcake recipe which you can find in our Halloween Spider Web Cupcakes post.
Next whip up our buttercream frosting recipe (also below) and get ready to have some decorating fun!
How to swirl frosting on top a cupcake?
- For a nice twirl atop your cupcakes, we like using a Wilton cake tip #1A.
- Simply drop this tip into your pastry bag, then fill the pastry bag with your desired frosting (see our buttercream recipe below) and roll down the top of your pastry bag.
- Hold the rolled down portion of your bag in one hand while exerting light pressure, and use your other, dominant hand, as a guide.
- To swirl the frosting, put your tip facing down in the middle of the cupcake top. Lightly press the frosting in the bag while you carefully guide the tip in a circular outward motion, ending on the outside with a little swoosh.
- OR You can start with the tip facing down near the edge of the cupcake and using the same method, guide the tip in a circular inward motion, ending in the middle with a little flourish or peak.
- We like using green paste food color, for it’s strong tones, but you can also use green gel food color.
How to make the witch legs!
- Create the striped legs with straws. We prefer horizontal striped stockings, but vertical striped straws work too. Make witch-y boots with black gumdrops or black fondant.
NOTE: Sometimes we use cakes mixes. We actually like cake mixes! Our favorite yellow cake mix is Duncan Hines Yellow Cake. We just make a couple of simple changes (see recipe.)
See the links for these HALLOWEEN CUPCAKES recipes & ideas:
For Vanilla Cupcakes
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2 ¾ cups sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional--the added flavor is really good)
- 8-cups sifted confectioner’s (powdered) sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- straws (for boots)
- black fondant or black gumdrops (for shoes)
For Vanilla Cupcakes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
3. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a small mixing bowl; set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed to soften butter. Add sugar and vanilla and beat until combined.
5. Add eggs, one at a time, beating 30 seconds after each one.
6. Add dry ingredients and milk alternately to beaten mixture.
7. Beat on low speed just until flour disappears.
8. Fill muffin cups 1/2 full of batter.
9. Bake 17 – 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool on a wire rack.
For Buttercream Frosting
1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer.
2. Add vanilla & almond.
3. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often.
4. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.
5. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
6. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
To Create the Witch Legs Decor
You can create these striped legs with straws. We prefer horizontal striped stockings, but vertical striped straws work too.
Make witch-y boots with black gumdrops or black fondant.
1. If you'd like a chocolate cupcake recipe, check out the chocolate cupcake recipe on our Spider Web Cupcake post.
2. Sometimes we use cakes mixes. We actually like cake mixes. Our favorite yellow cake mix is Duncan Hines Yellow Cake. We just make a couple of simple changes. We add the recommended amount(s) of oil and eggs. Then fill a liquid measuring cup to the half cup line with sour cream. Add water on top of the sour cream until it reaches the amount of water called for. Mix as directed.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 313Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 137mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 0gSugar: 29gProtein: 3g
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!
Try these other spooky recipes:
originally posts October 20, 2018