Sweet, savory, salty, crispy, soft, perfect. A crisp parmesan wafer, sweet and nutty honey pecan cream cheese, topped with salty bacon and green onions. (Make sure you wipe the drool off your keyboard before you keep reading).
I worked for a catering company for a short while when my husband was finishing his Master’s in Utah. This little appetizer was something we made there and ohmygosh its so good. These little appetizers looks super fancy, but are actually super easy!
One of the most important things for making this recipe is making sure that your parmesan wafers are really crispy. Floppy or chewy wafers will ruin this appetizer! A couple tricks to make sure your wafers are crisp are to spread your cheese out really thinly, you don’t need the cheese piled on top of each other. The other is to make sure they are baked long enough! As long as they don’t look burned they should taste fine, they should be nice and golden. I feel like my pictures show my wafers paler than they actually were, so yours will probably be a little darker in color.
If you like to plan ahead you can make the Parmesan wafers and fry your bacon up ahead of time. The Parmesan wafers, once completely cool, can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 3 slices of bacon, fried and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 container Philadelphia Honey Pecan Cream Cheese (If you can’t find this at the store you can make your own using the recipe below)
- I typically just buy a container of Philadelphia Honey Pecan Cream cheese, but if I cannot find it I use this recipe to make my own
- 4 ounces (8 tablespoons) cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- sprinkle of salt
- 2 tablespoons pecans, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with either a silicone mat or parchment paper. Take 1 heaping tablespoon of parmesan cheese and place on lined baking sheet. Spread the cheese out forming a thin circle of cheese. You don’t want the cheese to be layered thick or your Parmesan wafer will not be crisp.
- Repeat with remaining cheese leaving about ½ inch between each cheese pile. Bake for 4-7 minutes until cheese is golden and crisp. Make sure they are crispy! Chewy wafers are no good in this recipe! Let cool before removing from baking sheet and topping.
- Once Parmesan wafers are cool, top each wafer with 2-3 teaspoons of honey pecan cream cheese. You can load your cream cheese into a piping bag for a prettier finish or just use a spoon. Be careful when topping wafer, they will be thin and delicate.
- Once wafers are topped with cream cheese, sprinkle crumbled bacon and sliced green onions on top. Serve immediately.
- Place cream cheese in a medium size bowl. Using a hand mixer beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add in honey, a sprinkle of salt, and powdered sugar (start with 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar and taste to see if you need a second tablespoon)—use beaters to cream together. Stir in chopped pecans.
You can make the parmesan wafers several days ahead of time if you’d like. Just be sure once they are completely cool you store them in an airtight container at room temperature.