This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please know, we only share products we love!
These truffled mushroom flatbreads have sweet caramelized onions, savory mushrooms, Italian herbs, gooey mozzarella, all topped off with spicy arugula, fresh Parmesan, and a drizzle of decadent truffle oil. Do I have your attention? This recipe is bursting with flavor and while it seems extravagant, you can have this recipe done start to finish in 20 minutes!
What is Truffle Oil?
One of the not-so-secret ingredients to these truffled mushroom flatbreads in this recipe is truffle oil. Truffle oil is an oil that has been infused with the aroma and flavor of truffles. Truffles are a type of fungi, similar to a mushroom but have a rich umami flavor that will leave you drooling. (Not to be confused with the chocolate candy truffle!) Truffles are decadent and can be extremely expensive, up to $3,000/pound! Truffle oil is not nearly so pricey, I got mine for around $10.
Where to find Truffle Oil?
Truffle oil can be a little tricky to find. I found my truffle oil at World Market! But you can also find it at places like Home Goods, Williams-Sonoma, or of course, Amazon. I’ve even occasionally found it at stores like T.J. Maxx or Marshalls! If you cannot find truffle oil I promise the flatbreads will still be delicious, however I love the richness the truffle oil adds to these!
What kind of mushrooms should I use?
My favorite kind of mushroom to use in most of my recipes, but especially in recipes where mushrooms are the star are baby bella mushrooms! Baby bella mushrooms are sometimes called cremini (sometimes spelled crimini), baby Portobello, ore even Roman mushrooms. Did you know that baby bella or cremini mushrooms are actually just juvenile Portobello mushrooms? Baby bella mushrooms have a earthier and meatier flavor than your regular white mushrooms. That said, if you can only get your hands on white mushrooms, they’ll do just fine.
What kind of Flatbreads should I use?
You can really use any kind of flatbread, naan, pitas, if you’re watching your carb intake try low carb pitas instead! I love the brand Joseph’s for low carb swaps, they have great low carb pitas and lavash bread, both of which would work wonderfully for a lighter version of this recipe with this recipe!
If you want to try making your own homemade flatbreads, try this homemade naan bread recipe
Check out these other delicious recipes:
- 3 Cheese Pizza with Honey and Almonds
- Asparagus Cheese Tart
- Strawberry Balsamic Pizza
- Herbed Cheese Heirloom Tomato Tart
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
- 2 flatbreads
- 1 cup sweet Vidalia onion, diced
- 8 ounces Cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon truffle oil
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash and dry mushrooms and slice thinly. Add sliced diced onion and 2 teaspoons of olive oil to a frying pan. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes and then add in sliced mushrooms. Cook for an additional for 5-8 minutes until soft and browned. Sprinkle rosemary, basil, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper and coat thoroughly.
- Place flatbreads on a baking sheet. Sprinkles mozzarella cheese over both flatbreads evenly. Spread mushroom and onion mixture over top of the cheese and flatbread. Bake for 5-8 minutes until flatbread is golden and cheese is melted.
- While flatbreads are in the oven prepare the salad. Toss arugula with 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil, 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Remove flatbreads from oven, drizzle truffle oil on top. Cut into even pieces. Top flatbreads with arugula salad and fresh Parmesan. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 513mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 13g
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!