Garden tomatoes are one of the rewards of summer. So juicy and flavorful--we love to serve them many ways. Our Herbed Cheese and Heirloom Tomato Tart is a great way to show off fresh tomatoes. This tart makes a delicious appetizer, or you can serve larger portions along side a soup or salad and turn it into a meal. The colors alone, make this such an attractive recipe. Put colors together with a pile of nutrients and amazing taste, and you've got a winner!
Ricotta cheese + cream cheese + herbs = delicious!
Flat leaf Italian parsley, chopped basil, green onions, lemon, salt and pepper brighten up the mixture of cream cheese and Ricotta cheese. The result makes a tasty base for the tart.
Puff pastry is so easy!
Puff pastry is easy to work with and gives you professional looking results. We like Pepperidge Farms brand in the freezer section of most supermarkets. Simply follow the package directions and let it come to room temperature before using. Next, roll the pastry and score a half-inch border around edge of pastry with a paring knife.
To keep the puff pastry from rising while it bakes, prick the middle of pastry all over with a fork. Then brush the half-inch border with beaten egg, and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Tomatoes as art!
When the pastry is cooled, spread the herb cream and Ricotta cheeses gently over it, leaving the border bare.
Next, place the tomatoes over the cheese spread. It's fun to arrange a pattern across the tart with the red, yellow and orange Heirloom cherry and regular-sized tomatoes. For the grand finale, add mint leaves, fresh cracked pepper and sea salt to garnish. All that's left is to serve!
You Might Also Enjoy these other Tasty Summer Recipes!
- Jalapeno Potato Salad
- Fresh Strawberry Lemon Trifle
- Black and White Bean Salad
- Triple Berry Slab Pie
- Lemon Tarragon Pasta Salad
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
Herbed Cheese and Heirloom Tomato Tart
- 1 pound Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes variety of red, yellow & orange; cut in half
- 1-2 medium sized tomatoes sliced
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 4 medium basil leaves; chopped
- 2 green onions sliced fine
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- mint leaves to garnish
- fresh cracked pepper to garnish
- sea salt to garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. .Let puff pastry sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Unfold and roll pastry to remove fold lines and slightly increase size.
- Place pastry on parchment lined cookie sheet (or lightly greased cookie sheet). Score a half-inch border around edge of puff pastry with a paring knife and prick middle of pastry with a fork all over.
- Brush half-inch border with beaten egg. Bake until golden brown 15-18 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese in medium sized bowl with electric mixer. Add ricotta cheese, lemon zest and juice, parsley, basil, green onions, pepper and salt. Beat until well blended. Spread cheese mixture over top of cooled puff pastry, staying clear of border.
- Arrange halved cherry tomatoes and sliced tomatoes randomly over tart. Sprinkle with mint leaves, fresh cracked pepper and sea salt to garnish.Serves 6 main dish entrees or 12 appetizer servings.
originally published September 4, 2019