This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please know, we only share products we love!
These S’mores rice krispie treats are the ultimate gourmet rice krispie treats! They have a rich graham cracker and rice krispie treat base, made with brown butter and brown sugar, mini marshmallows and marshmallow cream, chocolate chips, all topped off with extra chocolate, and a sprinkle of sea salt.
How to get that graham cracker flavor to come through
One of the problems I encountered when working on this recipe was how to get that graham cracker flavor to really come through. I still wanted to use rice krispies in the recipe and started off by using a mixture of rice krispies and graham cracker crumbs. Too much graham cracker crumbs and the s’mores rice krispie treats became impossibly chewy and took on a weird texture. I decided to use brown butter instead of regular melted butter and add in just a little bit of brown sugar to amp up that rich graham cracker flavor. And of course we had to add in marshmallow cream to make sure these rice krispie treats were soft and delicious and loaded with marshmallow too.
How many bags of mini marshmallows should I buy?
You need about 8 cups of mini marshmallows for this recipe, which is about 14 ounces of marshmallows. I usually buy 2-10 ounce bags of mini marshmallows.
How to Brown Butter
Brown butter has a delicious nutty flavor to it and really complements and enhances the graham cracker flavor of these gourmet rice krispie treats. Browning butter is pretty easy, just cut up your butter, add it to a pot (make sure it’s big enough, the butter does tend to foam and boil up!), and stir until it is browned and melted.
If you have never browned butter before check out our How to Brown Butter post, it has a photo and video tutorial, and will walk you through all the frequently asked questions on browning butter!
Let Your Rice Krispie Mixture Cool a Bit
Before you add in your chocolate chips, let your mixture cool for a few minutes so it is not super hot before adding your chocolate chips. If you add in the chocolate chips while the mixture is still hot you’ll find that your chocolate chips just melt. But don’t worry, even if they do melt, they’ll still be delicious!
Double this recipe for Extra-Large Rice Krispie Treats
As you can see in the photos, I made my rice krispie treats extra thick. To get your rice krispie treats this big you will need to double the recipe listed below, except for the topping.
How to Make the Chocolate Drizzle
Once You have your s’mores rice krispie treats in your 9x13 pan, it’s time to top them off! We’re adding some extra mini marshmallows, extra chocolate (because extra marshmallows and chocolate are always a good idea to me), and a bit of sea salt.
To make the chocolate drizzle you are going to use chocolate chips and little bit of oil or butter. The little bit of oil and butter is going to help your chocolate chips melt down nicely, chocolate chips have a tendency to seize up, and the extra bit of fat in there helps prevent that from happening.
In a microwave safe bowl, mix together your chocolate chips and oil and then microwave in 15-second increments, make sure you stir in between each time! Repeat this until your chocolate is smooth! Then, drizzle over top of your rice krispie treats and sprinkle a little sea salt over top while the chocolate is still melted. If your house is warm you might need to pop your rice krispie treats in the fridge for a few minutes to help your chocolate set up before slicing up your rice krispie treats.
How long do these s’mores rice krispie treats last?
In my house about two seconds. Okay, but for real, these rice krispie treats are best eaten within 3 days, just make sure you keep them covered with plastic wrap when you’re not eating them for maximum freshness!
Can you freeze rice krispie treats?
Weirdly enough, yes! To freeze your rice krispie treats, wrap each rice krispie treat individually in plastic wrap, then place them in a gallon sized freezer bag, and freeze. I recommend eating them within a month or the cereal starts to get soggy, which nobody wants. When you want to eat to your rice krispie treat, remove it from the freezer and let it thaw on the counter until room temperature. If it still seems a little too stiff, try popping it in the microwave to for a couple seconds to soften it up.
We think you'l love these other recipes too!
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
S’mores Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 7 cups mini marshmallows, divided (5 cups to melted with butter and 2 cups mixed in whole)—see notes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 - 7 ounce container marshmallow cream (about 2 ¼ cups)
- 3 cups rice krispies
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 11 full graham cracker sheets)
- ¾ cup chocolate chips (I like to use mini semi-sweet chocolate chips or half milk-half semi-sweet, but you decide what kind of chocolate to use!)
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (I like semi-sweet, but you choose!)
- ½ teaspoon oil or butter
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- sea salt
- In a very large saucepan over low heat (see notes) brown your butter. Once melted, add in your brown sugar. Mix until completely dissolved,
- Then, add in 5 cups of mini marshmallows and
coat in butter-brown sugar mixture. Keep stirring until butter and marshmallows are completely melted, then remove from heat.
- Stir in the vanilla, salt, graham cracker crumbs, and Rice Krispies until completely coated.
- Mix in marshmallow cream. Once marshmallow cream
is completely incorporated, let cool until just barely warm and then stir in the reserved 2 cups mini marshmallows and chocolate chips.
- Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Pour all of the mixture into the 9x13 pan. Using the back of the spoon evenly distribute the mixture throughout the pan. Spray your hands
with cooking spray (so the mixture doesn’t stick to your hands) and press the mixture down so the treats have a smooth surface.
- Once cool, start your topping. In a microwave safe bowl, heat your oil (or butter) and chocolate chips together in 15 second increments, stirring in between. Repeat this until you have a smooth mixture.
- Sprinkle your mini marshmallows over top of your S’mores Rice Krispie treats, then drizzle the chocolate over top, and sprinkle your sea salt over the top. Let cool completely, then slice and enjoy!
PLEASE NOTE: I doubled this recipe as shown in photos to get
an extra thick rice krispie treat. The recipe listed above is half the thickness of the rice krispie treats. If you would like them as thick as the photos, double the ingredients for the base, but do not double the ingredients for the topping
- Mini marshmallows—you’ll need about 14 ounces of mini marshmallows, I buy 2-10 ounce bags
- If you don’t have a very large sauce pan, you can either melt the butter and marshmallows down in the largest saucepan you have and then pour them into a large mixing bowl or you can microwave them in a large microwave-safe bowl and then our into an even large mixing bowl to mix in the cereal.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 313mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 1gSugar: 37gProtein: 3g
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!