It’s Super Bowl time and we’re excited to share some of our favorite party appetizers. You’ll love these easy bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers. Obvi, almost everyone loves anything with bacon. These are straight up delish!
You make a simple blend of cheddar cheese and cream cheese. Then add some herbs and spice.
Next, cut your jalapenos in half lengthwise, scoop out the insides, scoop in some cheese filling and wrap with bacon.
You will cut each of the 12 slices of bacon in half. I’ve tried wrapping the bacon several ways. If you cut it crosswise, using a toothpick is a must after wrapping to secure the bacon. If you cut the bacon lengthwise, you have a long strand to wrap around the jalapeno and it stays in place much easier without a toothpick. Your choice!
Squirt a little barbecue sauce over your wrapped jalapeno to give it extra flavor. We especially like Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce. It has the perfect flavor to complement the poppers. Mmmmmmm!
These are very best when served warm. The recipe makes 24 jalapeno poppers, but they’ll go so fast you might want to make more!
- 12 large jalapenos (try for similar size)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic and herb seasoning (or ½ teaspoon each of garlic, onion powder and salt)
- 12 slices thin sliced bacon, cut in half LENGTHWISE
- ¼ cup Barbecue sauce (we like Sweet Baby Rays—it’s easiest if you have a squirt bottle you can just put a little dollop on each popper)
- Pam, or other cooking oil spray
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover a sheet pan with aluminum foil; spray it with cooking oil spray.
- Mix together cream cheese, cheddar cheese and seasoning(s).
- Cut jalapenos in half LENGTHWISE, remove seeds and membranes.
- Fill each jalapeno with cheese mixture.
- Wrap long strand of bacon around jalapeno. (You can secure with a toothpick but if you cover your ends as you wrap, you won’t need a toothpick.)
- Arrange peppers on the foil lined baking sheet and put a little dollop of barbecue sauce on each one.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until bacon is crisp but not burned.
- Serve warm for best results.