These parmesan wafers with honey pecan cream cheese are sweet, savory, salty, crispy, soft, perfect. A crisp Parmesan wafer, topped with sweet and nutty honey pecan cream cheese, covered in crumbled crispy bacon bacon and green onions. (Make sure you wipe the drool off your keyboard before you keep reading).I worked for a catering company for a short while when my husband was finishing his Master’s in Utah. This little appetizers of crispy parmesan wafers and honey pecan cream cheese were something we made there and ohmygosh its so good. These little appetizers looks super fancy, but are actually super easy!
How to Make the Parmesan Wafers (or cheese crisps!)
One of the most important things for making this recipe is making sure that your parmesan wafers are really crispy. Floppy or chewy wafers will ruin this appetizer!
You’ll want to use shredded or freshly grated parmesan cheese for these parmesan crisps NOT the powdered kind in a green can we all grew up with. The method for these parmesan crisps is super simple, just take a heaping tablespoon of parmesan cheese, form it into small circles, pop them into the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 5-7 minutes.
A couple tricks to make sure your wafers are crisp are to spread your cheese out really thinly, you don’t need the cheese piled on top of each other. The other is to make sure they are baked long enough! As long as they don’t look burned they should taste fine, they should be nice and golden. I feel like my pictures show my wafers paler than they actually were, so yours will probably be a little darker in color.
Can I make these appetizers ahead of time? and How to store the Parmesan wafers!
Yes and No. If you like to plan ahead you can make the Parmesan wafers and fry your bacon up ahead of time. The Parmesan wafers, once completely cool, can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature. Keep your cooked bacon refrigerated until you need it.
So you can make all the individual elements ahead of time but I wouldn’t assemble the parmesan wafers with honey pecan cream cheese until you’re ready to serve them (or up to an hour before). They’re best fresh!
Buy or Make the Honey Pecan Cream Cheese
I’ll be honest, I usually buy the honey pecan cream cheese, for speed and easy. Philadelphia makes an absolutely delicious honey pecan cream cheese. But, occasionally, I cannot find it at the store or I forget to grab it and so I’ll just make it at home! It’s super easy, you’ll just cream together cream cheese, honey, a little powdered sugar, and stir in some finely chopped pecans. That’s it! It’s ready to be piped on to your parmesan wafers!
Make this recipe Keto!
This recipe is almost already completely keto/low carb friendly to start! Cheese, bacon, cream cheese, pecans, all keto and low-carb friendly! So it’s super easy to make a simple swap and make the entire recipe keto-fied.
Parmesan is naturally keto friendly, if you want to be super strict about keto, make sure you buy the block of parmesan cheese and grate it yourself so you know that you’re not getting any extra stuff in there like cornstarch in there
In case you didn’t know, when you buy pre shredded cheese from the store they coat the cheese in something to keep it all from sticking together, like cornstarch or cellulose which can add carbs to your naturally zero carb cheese.
Make it Keto: Simple Swaps in the Cream Cheese
What you’ll want to do is when you’re making your honey pecan cream cheese, leave out the honey and powdered sugar and add 2-3 tablespoons of your favorite sugar substitute. My personal favorite is this Lakanto Monk Fruit Sweetener!
HI THERE! LINKS IN THIS POST ARE AMAZON AFFILIATE LINKS TO PRODUCTS WE LOVE.
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
Parmesan Wafers with Honey Pecan Cream Cheese, Bacon, & Green Onions
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 3 slices of bacon fried and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons green onions thinly sliced
- 1 container Philadelphia Honey Pecan Cream Cheese If you can’t find this at the store you can make your own using the recipe below
Honey Pecan Cream Cheese
- I typically just buy a container of Philadelphia Honey Pecan Cream cheese but if I cannot find it I use this recipe to make my own
- 4 ounces 8 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- sprinkle of salt
- 2 tablespoons pecans finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with either a silicone mat or parchment paper. Take 1 heaping tablespoon of parmesan cheese and place on lined baking sheet. Spread the cheese out forming a thin circle of cheese. You don’t want the cheese to be layered thick or your Parmesan wafer will not be crisp.
- Repeat with remaining cheese leaving about ½ inch between each cheese pile. Bake for 4-7 minutes until cheese is golden and crisp. Make sure they are crispy! Chewy wafers are no good in this recipe! Let cool before removing from baking sheet and topping.
- Once Parmesan wafers are cool, top each wafer with 2-3 teaspoons of honey pecan cream cheese. You can load your cream cheese into a piping bag for a prettier finish or just use a spoon. Be careful when topping wafer, they will be thin and delicate.
- Once wafers are topped with cream cheese, sprinkle crumbled bacon and sliced green onions on top. Serve immediately.
If you are making your own honey pecan cream cheese, follow these instructions:
- Place cream cheese in a medium size bowl. Using a hand mixer beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add in honey, a sprinkle of salt, and powdered sugar (start with 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar and taste to see if you need a second tablespoon)—use beaters to cream together. Stir in chopped pecans.
Try out these other delicious appetizer ideas!
originally published December 29, 2018