Your favorite Philly cheesesteak sandwich lightened up, and turned into stuffed peppers! These philly cheesesteaks stuffed peppers are packed with vegetables and protein, for a macro-friendly and low-carb/keto meal!
Low Carb never tasted so good!
If you know me then you know that I love to count macros and for me watching my carb intake helps me control my sugar cravings and keeps my feeling more satisfied throughout the day! These stuffed bell pepper help me keep my carb intake low, so that I also have room in my diet for a little treat when I need one!
What type of meat is best for Philly Cheesesteaks?
Starting with a good meat in your philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers will give you a much tastier result! Traditionally, I believe, Ribeye is the steak of choice for philly cheesesteaks!
That said, you’ll still have great results with one of these other types of steak:
- top sirloin roast
- flank steak
- top round roast
Remember: Slicing your steak super thin will always make your meat seem more tender in these recipe!
How to Cut the Pepper Tops:
You want to utilize ever edible bit of the peppers so nothing is wasted!
- Start by cutting off the tops
- Slice around the stems (throw the stems away!)
- Dice up the pieces and cook up with the onions
How long do you bake stuffed peppers?
After cooking the meat and making the filling, you will fill your peppers up and bake them at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes. Top these babies with cheese about halfway through baking!
Are these Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers strictly Keto/Low-carb?
As the recipe is written they are not strictly keto! But A few simple swaps and they are!
How to make these stuffed peppers Keto:
- Instead of fat-free cream cheese, use full fat cream cheese
- Use full-fat sour cream instead of Greek yogurt
- Use xantham gum to thicken your creamy sauce instead of cornstarch (try using ¼ teaspoon of xantham gum to start)
- Use only a half of a pepper instead of stuffing a full pepper (cut them in half sideways instead of cutting off the top)
Can I meal prep these Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers?
Yes! I love these healthier Philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers and they will keep you full all day. I’ve meal prepped these and eaten them all week long and found they were still delicious when reheated!
Check out these other Delicious Low Carb recipes!
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
- 1 pound steak thinly sliced and cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 green bell peppers
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- ½ medium onion diced
- 8 ounces 1 ⅔ cups white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces 8 tablespoons fat free cream cheese
- ¼ cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut tops of bell peppers off hollow out and remove seeds, set the body of the bell pepper aside. Cut bell pepper around the stems and dice, to utilize all edible parts of pepper. Mix with diced onions and jalapeno.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat add olive oil, diced onions and peppers, and steak. When steak is cooked through add in mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes and then add in, seasonings, cream cheese, yogurt, and cornstarch. Stir until all ingredients combine and make a sauce. Continue to cook until the sauce is thick (the mushrooms will release a lot of liquid so it may take a few minutes).
- Fill hollowed out bell peppers with meat and vegetable mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Halfway through baking top peppers with provolone cheese. Serve immediately.
Originally Published January 7, 2019