Layers of moist chocolate cake, cream filling and fudgy frosting create a scrumptious version of “Ho Ho Cake,” which looks like, but tastes so much better than a Ho Ho!
How to make a box cake taste homemade
For the cake, I like to start with a Duncan Hines Devil’s Food cake mix (you can substitute your favorite chocolate cake recipe). I simply follow the box instructions with one small exception: instead of 1 cup water, I add ½ cup water + ½ cup sour cream. This makes the cake more moist and gives it a homemade taste and texture. I mix the batter as directed, then pour it into a prepared 9 x 13 –inch metal baking pan.
Creamy Cream Filling!
While the cake is baking, I work on that creamy ho ho filling. The key to this dessert is to whip the cream filling a long time (10-15 minutes – don’t give up!) Then set the filling aside. We don't love eating this filling alone, but put together with the cake and frosting in tastes just like a Hostess Ho Ho, Ding Dong or Hostess Cupcake.
I cool the cake when it’s finished baking, then cover it with cream filling. And, I put the cream-topped cake in the refrigerator to set.
PLEASE NOTE: For my pictures, I doubled the recipe and used a half sheet pan (18" x 13.") Ho-Ho cake is such a crowd pleaser, you may want to do this too!
Fudgy Chocolate Frosting!
Up next is the chocolate fudge frosting. It’s important to spread the frosting over the cake as soon as the frosting is finished. The frosting sets up quickly and it’s difficult to spread if you wait. After frosting, place the cake in the refrigerator for at least an hour. This will help you cut clean slices when you serve the cake and give you that crisp layered look.
This cake is a family favorite first shared by our good friend Marilyn. We've adapted it with our own favorite chocolate fudge frosting, but we will always think of Marilyn when we eat it. We think it tastes like a Hostess Ding Dong or Ho Ho cake, maybe even better! It's the best "snack cake" around. You're going to love it!
If you like this recipe, we're guessing you're going to like these recipes too!
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
- 1 package Devil’s Food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup shortening
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 (5 oz.) can evaporated milk, or ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup half and half or cream
- ½ cup butter
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Make cake according to manufacturer’s instructions on box. I like to substitute ½ cup water + ½ cup sour cream for the 1 cup water (for a moister cake).
- Cream together sugar, shortening and butter in a medium size mixing bowl. Add in evaporated milk, vanilla, and salt. Beat until fluffy, about 10-15 minutes.
- Spread filling over cooled cake. Refrigerate until filling sets.
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- Combine chocolate chips, cream, and butter in a medium saucepan (I like to use a double boiler) and stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from heat.
- With electric mixer, blend in 2 ½ cups powdered sugar. Beat until frosting holds shape. Immediately frost over cream layer. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!
You may also liked these tasty recipes:
Originally posted September 21, 2018.