This butternut squash, goat cheese, and sausage pasta make my taste buds do a little dance. Roasted sweet butternut squash, savory sausage, creamy and tangy goat cheese that forms a creamy sauce when tossed together, topped off with fresh parmesan and dried rosemary.
How to Cut and Peel a Butternut Squash
Butternut squash can be really hard to cut. My little trick for making it easier to cut? Microwave it! If you microwave the entire squash for about 2 minutes, you’ll find that it becomes significantly easier to slice off the top and bottom of the butternut squash.
The easiest way for me peel the outside of a butternut squash is just a regular old vegetable peeler. Of course, if you don’t have one you can always use a sharp knife.
How to Roast Butternut Squash
Roasting butternut squash is simple! Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, toss your cubed butternut squash with a little oil and seasoning of choice and bake for 40-45 minutes until tender.
The simplest cheese sauce you’ve ever made
We use goat cheese in this recipe for a creamy sauce! All you need to make it is 8 ounces of goat cheese crumbled and a little reserved pasta water. The heat from the freshly cooked pasta and pasta water turns your goat cheese into a delicious creamy sauce!
Customize this Recipe to your Diet:
Mix up the Sausage you use:
You can use any kind of sausage, but I recommend using something with a good flavor like a spicy sausage or an Italian sausage if you don’t like spicy food. I’ve used a few different kinds of sausage including a spicy ground turkey sausage from Jennie-O for a lower fat version and chorizo for a more Mexican flavor
Make it Gluten-free:
If you’re gluten-free try substituting a rice-based or chickpea-based pasta!
This rich and hearty dish is exactly what I crave in the fall and winter! I know you’ll love it! It’ll be love at first bite!
You may also like these other tasty pasta recipes:
- Zucchini Noodle Pasta w/ Creamy Yogurt Herb Sauce
- Parmesan Roasted Carrot & Tomato Fettuccine
- Brown Butter Sage Gnocchi
- Chicken TIkka Masala Mac & Cheese
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
Butternut Squash, Goat Cheese, and Sausage Pasta
- 1 medium butternut squash
- ½ medium onion diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 pound sausage
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Microwave butternut squash for 2 minutes—this will soften it a little and make it easier to cut. Cut off the top and bottom of the squash. Use a potato peeler to remove the skin. Cut squash in half and remove the seeds from the center. Cut into half-inch cubes.
- Toss squash and diced onions with olive oil, salt, garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Spread squash and onions over baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- When squash is almost done baking, start cooking your sausage. Cook all the way through, crumbling it as you cook it, and set aside.
- Bring 4 quarts of salted water to boil. Add in penne and let boil for about 8 minutes or until tender. Reserve 2 cups of pasta water. Drain the rest of the water. In a large bowl crumble goat cheese and toss with hot pasta. Add pasta water a little bit at a time until a creamy sauce starts to form. You may not need all of the pasta water.
- Add in cooked sausage, onion, and butternut squash and toss. Top with dried rosemary and fresh Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!