This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please know, we only share products we love!
This butternut squash, goat cheese, and sausage pasta make my taste buds do a little dance. Roasted sweet butternut squash, savory sausage, creamy and tangy goat cheese that forms a creamy sauce when tossed together, topped off with fresh parmesan and dried rosemary.
How to Cut and Peel a Butternut Squash
Butternut squash can be really hard to cut. My little trick for making it easier to cut? Microwave it! If you microwave the entire squash for about 2 minutes, you’ll find that it becomes significantly easier to slice off the top and bottom of the butternut squash.
The easiest way for me peel the outside of a butternut squash is just a regular old vegetable peeler. Of course, if you don’t have one you can always use a sharp knife.
How to Roast Butternut Squash
Roasting butternut squash is simple! Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, toss your cubed butternut squash with a little oil and seasoning of choice and bake for 40-45 minutes until tender.
The simplest cheese sauce you’ve ever made
We use goat cheese in this recipe for a creamy sauce! All you need to make it is 8 ounces of goat cheese crumbled and a little reserved pasta water. The heat from the freshly cooked pasta and pasta water turns your goat cheese into a delicious creamy sauce!
Customize this Recipe to your Diet:
Mix up the Sausage you use:
You can use any kind of sausage, but I recommend using something with a good flavor like a spicy sausage or an Italian sausage if you don’t like spicy food. I’ve used a few different kinds of sausage including a spicy ground turkey sausage from Jennie-O for a lower fat version and chorizo for a more Mexican flavor
Make it Gluten-free:
If you’re gluten-free try substituting a rice-based or chickpea-based pasta!
This rich and hearty dish is exactly what I crave in the fall and winter! I know you’ll love it! It’ll be love at first bite!
You may also like these other tasty pasta recipes:
- Zucchini Noodle Pasta w/ Creamy Yogurt Herb Sauce
- Parmesan Roasted Carrot & Tomato Fettuccine
- Brown Butter Sage Gnocchi
- Chicken TIkka Masala Mac & Cheese
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
- 1 medium butternut squash
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 pound sausage
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Microwave butternut squash for 2 minutes—this will soften it a little and make it easier to cut. Cut off the top and bottom of the squash. Use a potato peeler to remove the skin. Cut squash in half and remove the seeds from the center. Cut into half-inch cubes.
- Toss squash and diced onions with olive oil, salt, garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Spread squash and onions over baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- When squash is almost done baking, start cooking your sausage. Cook all the way through, crumbling it as you cook it, and set aside.
- Bring 4 quarts of salted water to boil. Add in penne and let boil for about 8 minutes or until tender. Reserve 2 cups of pasta water. Drain the rest of the water. In a large bowl crumble goat cheese and toss with hot pasta. Add pasta water a little bit at a time until a creamy sauce starts to form. You may not need all of the pasta water.
- Add in cooked sausage, onion, and butternut squash and toss. Top with dried rosemary and fresh Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 388Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 877mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 16g
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!