This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please know, we only share products we love!
Cheesy, Gooey, Saucy, Green Chile Enchiladas. What’s not to love? These are our favorite enchiladas! Plenty of chile verde sauce, chicken, spices, onions, and did I mention cheese? We like a blend of cheddar and jack cheese for these enchiladas.
Cheddar and Jack cheeses give a combo of good flavor and good meltability (is that even a word?!)
Our Green Chile Enchiladas or “Chile Verde Enchiladas” are easy and quick to put together. You can bake, saute, or crock pot your chicken, or you can take a short cut and use a rotisserie chicken. Fast and delicious! After the holidays, we crave Mexican food. OK, the truth is, we ALWAYS crave Mexican food!
Warm the tortillas first
We like to warm corn tortillas before filling them. This helps prevent tearing.
For the filling, we combine, shredded, cooked chicken, pepperoncini peppers, green chiles, onions, a few spices and cheese. Just place some filling on a tortilla and roll them up. Next lay them in a rectangular 9 x 13-inch baking pan. We use cheese inside the enchiladas . . .
After pouring green enchilada sauce over the enchiladas, we add more cheese on top!
Top it off!
Once we take the pan out of the oven, we add green onions top off the enchiladas. The green onions are a nice garnish and add some extra zip to this tasty dish. These enchiladas just hit the spot! We like to serve them with sour cream and salsa. We usually add beans, fruit and maybe a green salad to round out the meal. You might just like Mexican food after the holidays, (or anytime) like we do. Give this recipe a try. We think you’ll like it!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
- 14 corn tortillas
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast (about 2 ½ cups), shredded
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini peppers, chopped and drained
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, dice and saute until softened
- 1 (28-ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 2 cups cheddar-jack blend cheese, grated (for filling)
- 2 cups cheddar-jack blend cheese, grated (for top)
- 4 green onions, sliced (green part only-- save for topping)
- Sour cream and salsa to serve
- In a large bowl combine shredded chicken and pepperoncini peppers.
- Sprinkle oregano, salt, pepper and cumin over chicken.
- Add green chiles and onion; mix well.
- Put about ½ cup green enchilada sauce in bottom of a 9x13-inch greased baking pan.
- Lightly warm corn tortillas on a griddle or frying pan. (This will soften the tortillas so they don’t tear.)
- Place about 2 tablespoons chicken filling on each tortilla. Add 2 tablespoons grated cheese. Roll up tortilla and place seam side down in baking pan.
- Pour green enchilada sauce over rolled tortillas.
- Top with 2 cups grated cheese.
- Cover pan with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until enchiladas are bubbly. (Remove foil during last 10 minutes.)
- Top with green onions before serving.
- Serve with sour cream and your favorite salsa.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 549Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 909mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 42g
Share it on Instagram and tag us and tag #infinetasterecipes so we can see it!
You may also like these delicious recipes: