Cheesy, Gooey, Saucy, Enchiladas. What’s not to love? These are our favorite enchiladas! Plenty of chile verde sauce, chicken, spices, onions, and did I mention cheese? We like a blend of cheddar and jack cheese for these enchiladas.
Cheddar and Jack cheeses give a combo of good flavor and good meltability (is that even a word?!)
Our Green Chile Enchiladas or “Chile Verde Enchiladas” are quick to put together. You can bake, saute, or crockpot your chicken, or you can take a short cut and use a rotisserie chicken. Fast and delicious! After the holidays, we crave Mexican food. OK, the truth is, we ALWAYS crave Mexican food!
We like to warm corn tortillas before filling them. This helps prevent tearing.
For the filling, we combine, shredded, cooked chicken, pepperoncini peppers, green chiles, onions, a few spices and cheese. We use cheese inside the enchiladas . . .
After pouring green enchilada sauce over the enchiladas, we add more cheese on top!
Once we take the pan out of the oven, we add green onions top off the enchiladas. The green onions are a nice garnish and add some extra zip to this tasty dish.
These enchiladas just hit the spot! We like to serve them with sour cream and salsa. We usually add beans, fruit and maybe a green salad to round out the meal. You might just like Mexican food after the holidays, (or anytime) like we do. Give this recipe a try. We think you’ll like it!
- 14 corn tortillas
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast (about 2 ½ cups), shredded
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini peppers, chopped and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano)
- 1 (28-ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 2 cups cheddar-jack blend cheese, grated (for filling)
- 2 cups cheddar-jack blend cheese, grated (for top)
- 4 green onions, sliced (green part only-- save for topping)
- In a large bowl combine shredded chicken and pepperoncini peppers.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and cumin over chicken.
- Add green chiles and diced onion and mix well.
- Put about ½ cup green enchilada sauce in bottom of a 9x13-inch greased baking pan.
- Lightly warm corn tortillas on a griddle or frying pan. (This will soften the tortillas so they don’t tear.)
- Place about 2 tablespoons chicken filling on each tortilla. Add 2 tablespoons grated cheese. Roll up tortilla and place seam side down in baking pan.
- Pour green enchilada sauce over rolled tortillas.
- Top with 2 cups grated cheese.
- Cover pan with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until enchiladas are bubbly. (Remove foil during last 10 minutes.)
- Top with green onions before serving.
- Serve with sour cream and your favorite salsa.