The key to the recipe is fresh basil. You chiffonade the basil (see How to Chiffonade Basil) and lay strands on the bottom of the tart before baking.
Parmesan and a brush of olive oil finish off this savory treat. Just add a few more basil strands when it comes out of the oven and you’re ready to go.
- 1 Package refrigerator pie crust (or your favorite single pie crust recipe)
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 3 Tablespoons fresh basil leaves, cut into chiffonade strips
- 3 medium sized fresh tomatoes, cut into 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Fit pie crust into 10-inch tart pan; trim along edge.
- Generously prick bottom and sides of pastry with fork.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over pastry shell.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons basil over cheese. Learn here how to cut basil into chiffonade strips.
- Arrange tomato slices on top.
- Brush tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet on lowest oven rack.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until crust is golden.
- Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle with remaining basil.
- Let cool about 10 minutes before cutting into wedge sized pieces.