You guys are going to love this rich and low-carb version of your favorite Italian dish! Carbonara is a traditional Italian dish made with pancetta, egg yolks, and Parmesan to create a rich and creamy sauce. Swap the pasta for spaghetti squash and your favorite dish just became guilt free!
Pancetta is the traditional meat used in this dish, but if you cannot find it or it seems a little pricey, feel free to use bacon! With this dish creaminess is the ultimate goal, you are going to mix your egg yolks, Parmesan, and spices together and then toss it with your warm spaghetti squash, the heat from the squash is going to gently cook the eggs and cheese creating a beautiful creamy sauce.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 5 cups cooked)
- 8 slices thick cut bacon or pancetta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup freshly shredded parmesan, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Handful of Italian parsley, chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place squash cut side down on a baking sheet and cook 40-60 minutes. Cooking time will vary depending on size of squash. Check squash after 40 minutes, you should be easily able to stick a fork into the squash and the squash should easily shred into thin strings. When cool enough, use to forks to shred squash, and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, fry 8 slices of bacon until crispy. Place cooked bacon on a plate lined with paper towels. Crumble bacon when cool enough to handle. Drain most of the bacon grease, leaving about 1 tablespoon of grease in frying pan.
- In a bowl add 5 egg yolks, Parmesan, salt, pepper, and milk. Use a fork to mix together. Set aside.
- In your frying pan, over medium heat, add olive oil and minced garlic to the 1 tablespoon of bacon grease. Heat together for about 1 minute, and then add spaghetti squash to pan. Toss spaghetti squash in oil and garlic. I like to use tongs to do this, but a large spoon will work too. When squash is hot, turn the heat down to low.
- Pour egg and Parmesan mixture over spaghetti squash while quickly tossing squash. Keep tossing for 1 minute. Add in bacon and parsley and toss together. Serve and garnish with more parmesan.