Cobbler is a popular southern dish that dates back generations. I love to eat it warm with ice cream, or cold with milk for breakfast the next day. In the summer, fresh peaches are wonderful to use in this recipe. During the cold months, you can capture the taste of summer by using canned peaches.
Either way it’s mighty tasty, or uh, PEACHY! If you choose frozen fruit, don’t let it thaw. Substitute 1 pound frozen peaches for 3 cups fresh peaches. This recipe starts with a batter on the bottom. Then the batter almost magically rises through the peaches to create a golden crust on top!
You start by melting butter in a pan while the oven is pre-heating. Next, mix, then pour a batter over the melted butter.
Carefully spoon peach mixture over the batter. You want to make sure not to stir the peaches and the batter.
Simply set the pan in the oven and let it do its magic! If you watch through the oven window, you’ll see the batter slowly rise from the bottom of the pan, right up through the peaches!
The batter will transform in to a buttery golden crust atop your peaches.
And voila! You’ll have a scrumptious peach cobbler right before your eyes! Serve it warm or cold (I always go for warm!)
We like to top it off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It’s delicious. It’s quick. What are you waiting for?!
- 1 cube butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 29 ounce can sliced canned peaches, drained and rinsed (or 3 cups fresh peaches, peeled & sliced)
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water (or peach juice from can)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Place butter in a 1½ quart shallow baking dish and heat in oven until melted.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, milk, vanilla, baking powder and salt to create a batter. Don’t over-beat.
- Pour over melted butter in baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine peaches, sugar and water. Carefully spoon over batter. DON’T STIR.
- Bake about 40 minutes. (The batter will rise through the peaches and create a crust on top. Crust should be golden.)
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.