Oh that Filling!
The key to our Fresh Tomato Basil Tart recipe is that fresh basil. You chiffonade the basil (see How to Chiffonade Basil) before scattering the thin strands atop the cheese. Parmesan and a brush of olive oil finish off this savory treat. Next pop the tart in the oven.
Just add a few more basil strands when it comes out of the oven and you’re ready to go. Your guests will “oooh” and “ahhh!” It’s pretty, and the taste is divine. Only you will know how easy it was to create. Try it for your next brunch, or when you need to bring an appetizer to a party or BBQ. You’re gonna love it!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
Tried this recipe and loved it? Comment and Rate it! Also send us a picture, WE WANT TO SEE!
- 1 Package refrigerator pie crust (or your favorite single pie crust recipe)
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 3 Tablespoons fresh basil leaves, cut into chiffonade strips
- 3 medium sized fresh tomatoes, cut into 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Fit pie crust into 10-inch tart pan; trim along edge.
- Generously prick bottom and sides of pastry with fork.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over pastry shell.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons basil over cheese. Learn here how to cut basil into chiffonade strips.
- Arrange tomato slices on top.
- Brush tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet on lowest oven rack.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until crust is golden.
- Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle with remaining basil.
- Let cool about 10 minutes before cutting into wedge sized pieces.
You may also enjoy these other delicious recipes:
Originally published December 1, 2018