Fresh buttermilk blueberry muffins! We all know that muffins are really just an excuse to eat cake for breakfast, and I’m sure not complaining. These buttermilk blueberry muffins are bursting with fresh blueberries and are perfect for any occasion—breakfast or not!
When I was a kid the only blueberry muffins I made came from a box. And while those box mix muffins are great sometimes, those tiny little blue dry bits hardly count as real blueberries. Nothing comes close to real blueberries bursting in every bite! I usually use fresh blueberries in my muffins but you can use frozen! If you are using frozen blueberries just make sure you thaw and drain them really well. Any extra liquid from the frozen berries could change the recipe drastically.
Buttermilk is a beautiful thing. Its unique composition really gives these muffins that melt in your mouth texture. Also, because the buttermilk is acidic it reacts with the baking soda helping these muffins rise beautifully!
Before you mix your blueberries into your batter you’re going to toss them with a little flour. This is going to keep the blueberries suspended in the batter so they don’t all sink to the bottom of your muffins. Because we seriously want you to have blueberries in EVERY. SINGLE. BITE.
Sprinkling a little sugar on top of your muffins is going to create a beautiful crust. The sugar will caramelize slightly giving you a crisp exterior. There’s a reason that muffin tops are the best part of the muffin!
These buttermilk blueberry muffins just melt in your mouth. I dare you to try and eat only one!
Don’t forget to pin this for later recipe! You can also follow us on Pinterest here!
And did you see that this recipe was featured on The Feed Feed?! Ahh!
- 1 cup granulated sugar + 2 tablespoons (for topping)
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour, divided, measured correctly
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Cream together butter, 1 cup sugar, egg, and vanilla and almond extracts until light and fluffy.
- Stir in baking powder baking soda, salt, lemon juice, and buttermilk until smooth. Toss washed blueberries with ¼ cup flour (this prevents the blueberries from sinking) and set aside.
- Stir in the remaining flour (make sure it's measured correctly) until fully incorporated. Then fold in blueberries. Your batter will be thick. Spoon batter into muffin papers in muffin pan until nearly full.
- Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar generously on top of the batter in muffin papers; this will give it a nice crust on top. Bake for 16-20 minutes. Yields 12-14 muffins.
Buttermilk is always best but if you're in a pinch you can use this substitute: 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons regular milk mix with 2 teaspoons lemon juice. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes before using.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 338mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 4g