Chicken stuffed with jack cheese, coated in a light and crispy bread crumb coating, and topped off with a sweet and spicy blackberry serrano sauce!
This last spring, I was at Disneyland with my husband during their Pixar Fest to celebrate the grand opening of Pixar Pier. We ate one of the limited edition food offerings—a flavor shifting corndog! It had 3 layers inside the fried cornbread—hot link sausage, pepperjack cheese, and spicy chicken sausage—all served with a blackberry Serrano sauce. I loved the flavor combinations and set off to come up with a dish that was very loosely inspired by it!
We love this chicken without the sauce too! Think: fancy adult chicken nuggets!
- For Chicken:
- 1 pound chicken breast, thawed and uncooked
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon parmesan
- 1 egg
- 3 ounces jack cheese (about ¾ cup shredded)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 ½-2 Serrano peppers, seeded and diced
- ¾ cup seedless blackberry jam
- ¾ cup water
- Juice of 2 limes (about ¼ cup of juice)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a bowl mix beat 1 egg, set aside. In a large bowl or in gallon size ziplock bag toss together bread crumbs, garlic powder, parmesan, and salt.
- Take chicken breasts and slice them horizontally, not cutting them all the way through. Stuff jack cheese into the slice you just made in the chicken. Carefully dip pinch the edge and dip the chicken breasts into the beaten egg and then into your bread crumb mixture, trying not to let any of the cheese fall out. Place into a large baking dish. Repeat with all chicken pieces. Bake for 20-25 minutes until completely cooked.
- While chicken is baking, prepare the blackberry Serrano sauce. In a large sauce pan add 1 tablespoon of butter, diced onion, and seeded and diced Serrano peppers. Sauté for 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add in minced garlic, blackberry jam, water, and lime juice. Once mixture is hot, whisk in the cornstarch. Continue to cook over medium heat until you have a mixture the thickness of maple syrup. Pour sauce into a blender and process until completely smooth. Serve over cooked chicken.