This superfood salad has roasted sweet potatoes, quinoa, fresh blueberries, dried apricots, and pecans. You might be wondering what a superfood is? Superfoods are nutritionally dense foods that are packed with vitamins, minerals, and are thought to ward off long-term health problems, like cancer and heart disease.
First up, we have kale—the basis of the salad. Kale, like most dark leafy vegetables, is loaded with vitamin A, vitamin, C, vitamin K, fiber, calcium, manganese and other minerals.
Quinoa is great because isn’t stripped of nutrients when it’s processed. Its naturally low fat, has protein, and fiber which helps keep us full.
Sweet potatoes are full of calcium, potassium, vitamin A, and vitamin C. It also ranks low on the glycemic index!
Blueberries are believed to help reduce heard disease and are full of antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin K, manganese soluble fiber, and phytochemicals.
Apricots are rich in fiber, vitamin A, are full of antioxidants, help lower cholesterol, and are rich in iron.
Pecans have high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids, which is brain food. Pecans have been shown to reduce risk of stroke, Alzheimer’s, depression, anxiety, heart disease, and diabetes.
The dressing is made with apple cider vinegar and honey which have probiotics, boosts your immune system, and reduce inflammation.
So as you can see, this salad is packed with everything your body needs!
- 8 cups kale, chopped
- ¼ quinoa dry (about 1 cup cooked)
- 4 cups sweet potato, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup dried apricots, finely diced
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup pecan halves
- Cooking spray
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey (replace with maple syrup if vegan)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil. Spread pecans over baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes until toasted. Be careful not to let them burn. Remove from oven and place pecans on a plate to cool.
- Turn oven up to 450 degrees. Remove any bad spots on the sweet potato. Cut sweet potato into ½ inch cubes. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Spray baking sheet covered in foil with cooking spray. Spread the sweet potato cubes over the baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the outside of the sweet potatoes are crispy and inside is soft.
- While the sweet potato is baking prepare the quinoa. Rinse ¼ cup of quinoa in cold water. Place in a small saucepan and cover with ½ cup of water. Bring to a boil. Cover saucepan and reduce to a simmer. Cook until quinoa has absorbed all the water. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk together the salad dressing ingredients. Place all salad ingredients together in a large bowl and toss together.