With fall quickly approaching, I figured it was about time to bust out my chili recipe! I love how rich and hearty chili tastes, especially when it doesn’t have a ton of extra calories! This recipe is packed with protein, fiber, and lots of veggies!
This chili recipe is a staple in my house, not only in fall, but also year-round. Another thing I really love about this recipe is it freezes super well! If you end up with a lot of extra, can’t eat it fast enough, or are trying to make easy meals for the future stick it in the freezer! You can either freeze individual servings or once the chili is completely cool, pour it into a gallon sized Ziploc bag and freeze it.
- 1 pound ground turkey (can substitute ground beef if you prefer)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 1-14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (1 ¾ cups)
- 1-15.5 ounce can kidney beans (1 ¾ cups)
- 1-16 ounce can fat free refried beans (1 ¾ cups)
- 1-8 ounce can tomato sauce (3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 1-4 ounce can diced green chiles (1/2 cup)
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (or 1-1.25 ounce packet)
- Sour Cream (or Plain Greek yogurt for a lighter alternative)
- Tortilla chips
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, brown ground turkey, breaking it up into small chunks as it cooks. When the meat is about halfway cooked add in diced onions and bell peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients. Stir ingredients together, bring mixture to a boil for 3 minutes then reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Serve and tops with your favorite toppings.